• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Per the recipe, the bacon is pre-cooked to the point that you describe.  I usually cook a full lb of bacon at a time in the oven and warm up leftovers in the MW.  Knowing that I wanted to try this, the last time I cooked a batch, I cooked some less than my usual super crispy so it was in the fridge, ready to go.   20 sec in the MW made them nicely pliable, though I did need to shape them in the cups quickly as they firmed up rapidly as they cooled.

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

it wast Test Kitchen eggs Florentine in ramekins

Thanks for the link. I see they recommend the pre-cook step like @robirdstx suggested so that seems like a wise suggestion and I will follow it.

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

at a certain point all the pre-prep bogs the dish down .....

Absolutely.  All the variables of egg size and temp, bacon thickness and doneness, the exact volume and shape of any additional fillings (as described in the CI eggs florentine article), may make it entirely too much trouble.  

But they're so dang cute, I've got to play around with it just a bit :D!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Per the recipe, the bacon is pre-cooked to the point that you describe.  I usually cook a full lb of bacon at a time in the oven and warm up leftovers in the MW.  Knowing that I wanted to try this, the last time I cooked a batch, I cooked some less than my usual super crispy so it was in the fridge, ready to go.   20 sec in the MW made them nicely pliable, though I did need to shape them in the cups quickly as they firmed up rapidly as they cooled.

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

it wast Test Kitchen eggs Florentine in ramekins

Thanks for the link. I see they recommend the pre-cook step like @robirdstx suggested so that seems like a wise suggestion and I will follow it.

18 minutes ago, rotuts said:

at a certain point all the pre-prep bogs the dish down .....

Absolutely.  All the variables of egg size and temp, bacon thickness and doneness, the exact volume and shape of any additional fillings, may make it entirely too much trouble.  

But they're so dang cute, I've got to play around with it just a bit :D!