• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

FWIW the ingredients list for the Lao Gan Ma 'Chili in Oil', 'Hot Chili Sauce', and 'Oil Chiui Condiment with Mushroom' products list 花椒 (= Sichuan peppercorns) as an ingredient. (See here, call up the Javascript pop-up and click on to the image of the ingredients part of the label) The bottle of 'Chili in Oil' I have with English on the label instead (presumably meant for export to the US) lists 'Prickly Ash' - and since it is stated to be made in China I assume it is referring to Chinese prickly ash and not "Northern (American) prickly ash" which is a related species. But of course the potency of the numbing principle is no doubt greatly decreased if even still present after the processing and storage of the sauce.

huiray

huiray

FWIW the ingredients list for the Lao Gan Ma 'Chili in Oil', 'Hot Chi Sauce', and 'Oil Chiui Condiment with Mushroom' products list 花椒 (= Sichuan peppercorns) as an ingredient. (See here, call up the Javascript pop-up and click on to the image of the ingredients part of the label) The bottle of 'Chili in Oil' I have with English on the label instead (presumably meant for export to the US) lists 'Prickly Ash' - and since it is stated to be made in China I assume it is referring to Chinese prickly ash and not "Northern (American) prickly ash" which is a related species. But of course the potency of the numbing principle is no doubt greatly decreased if even still present after the processing and storage of the sauce.