• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

@shain The eggplant technique (steam/brush oil/deep roast) intrigues me.  Does it lead to a very tender deeply flavored result? Must try.

Baking alone will get you good flavor and decent texture - they will start to dry by the time you get deep brown color. Steaming before hand keeps them tender and juicy. They are great sauced, added to stews towards the end of cooking or eaten as is. I love them warm, drizzled with lemony tahini and some cumin.

I sometimes bake them without steaming, but add even more oil. This gets you very rich eggplants, great for some sandwiches (for example in focaccia bread with some feta).

shain

shain

2 minutes ago, heidih said:

@shain The eggplant technique (steam/brush oil/deep roast) intrigues me.  Does it lead to a very tender deeply flavored result? Must try.

Baking alone will get you good flavor and decent texture - they will start to dry by the time you get deep brown color. Steaming before hand keeps them tender and juicy. They are great sauced, added to stewes towrds the end of cooking or eaten as is. I love them warm, drizzled with lemony tahini and some cumin.

I sometimes bake them without steaming, but add even more oil. This gets you very rich eggplants, great for some sandwiches (for example in focaccia bread with some feta).