• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

What though really makes for an 'exceptional experience' on a website? I honestly can't say I think I have ever had an 'exceptional experience' (which is what the OP asked I think - not really where to host the site or how/what to sell, etc.) in an online store - other than it was perhaps great to find they stocked whatever it was I was looking for and the site was easy to move around, gave me the information I was looking for, the price was right and the transaction was secure, and the merchandise was as high quality as it was touted it would be and was delivered as promised. Do all those things make those online store visits 'exceptional' though or merely meeting what I think the basic standard should be? I guess it is really all relative .. and a site will stand out especially if everyone else's sites are mediocre or bad.

Deryn

Deryn

What though really makes for an 'exceptional experience' on a website? I honestly can't say I think I have ever had an 'exceptional experience' (which is what the OP asked I think - not really where to host the site or how/what to sell, etc.) in an online store - other than it was perhaps great to find they stocked whatever it was I was looking for and the site was easy to move around, gave me the information I was looking for, was secure and the merchandise was as high quality as it was touted it would be and was delivered as promised. Do all those things make those online store visits 'exceptional' though or merely meeting what I think the basic standard should be? I guess it is really all relative .. and a site will stand out especially if everyone else's sites are mediocre or bad.