• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

HungryChris

HungryChris

This is what I had for lunch, but it was more of a trial run for a dinner coming up for Deb's birthday. Spaghetti carbonara requires  quite a bit of coordination to get it right without cheating and using cream. You get the pancetta rendered while the pasta water is heating, turn the heat way down on the pancetta until the pasta is near to al dente, then reheat the pancetta. At this point I added zucchini and sugar snaps and some reconstituted dried porcinis. Then you add the pasta to the fry pan, cut the heat to the fry pan and add in a mixture of egg, egg yolk and grated cheese. This you stir around letting the heat of the pasta cook the egg and cheese mixture and add in some of the pasta water to achieve a creamy texture. You flip this into a preheated bowl and serve. It's quite the orchestration. We had this at a place called Ai Tre Scalini in Rome (without the zucchini, sugar snaps and porcini) and and Deb still talks about it. She was off with her grandson today and I still have double vision from recent surgery and riding in the car is kind of scary. I decided to stay home for a practice run I think. I am ready.

HC

IMG_1199.JPG  

HungryChris

HungryChris

This is what I had for lunch, but it was more of a trial run for a dinner coming up for Deb's birthday. Spaghetti carbonara requires  quite a bit of coordination to get it right without cheating and using cream. You get the pancetta rendered while the pasta water is heating, turn the heat way down on the pancetta until the pasta is near to al dente, then reheat the pancetta. At this point I added zucchini and sugar snaps and some reconstituted dried porcinis. Then you add the pasta to the fry pan, cut the heat to the fry pan and add in a mixture of egg, egg yolk and grated cheese. This you stir around letting the heat of the pasta cook the egg and cheese mixture and add in some of the pasta water to achieve a creamy texture. You flip this into a preheated bowl and serve. It's quite the orchestration. We had this at a place called Ai Tre Scalini in Rome (without the zucchini, sugar snaps and porcini) and and Deb still talks about it. She was off with her grandson today and I still have double vision from recent surgery and riding in the car is kind of scary. I decided to stay home for a practice run I think I am ready.

HC

IMG_1199.JPG  

HungryChris

HungryChris

This is what I had for lunch, but it was more of a trial run for a dinner coming up for Deb's birthday. Spaghetti carbonara requires  quite a bit of coordination to get it right without cheating and using cream. You get the pancetta rendered while the pasta water is heating, turn the heat way down on the pancetta until the pasta is near to al dente, then reheat the pancetta. At this point I added zucchini and sugar snaps and some reconstituted dried porcinis. Then you add the pasta to the fry pan, cut the heat to the fry pan and add in a mixture of egg, egg yolk and grated cheese. This you stir around letting the heat of the pasta cook the egg and cheese mixture and add in some of the pasta water to achieve a creamy texture. You flip this into a preheated bowl and serve. It's quite the orchestration. We had this at a place called Ai Tre Scalini in Rome (without the zucchini, sugar snaps and porcini) and and Deb still talks about it. She was off with her grandson today and I still have double vision and riding in the car is kind of scary. I decided to stay home for a practice run I think I am ready.

HC

IMG_1199.JPG