• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

Here is what they looked like from the oven, I just dipped the rolls and pretzels in hot water with baking soda, then egg washed, salted and baked. They didn't want to be very dark, I pulled the tray after 25 minutes, for fear of getting hard tack rolls and crunchy pretzels. Each pic is waxed and unwaxed salt of similar size. So far, the experiment is going very well. The waxed salt remained much closer to its original size and shape than plain salt. I am going to bag them and see what they look like tomorrow. (pretzels were salted with the middle sized salt, a large kosher style)

I also layered some of the finer salt in ice cream, I will check on that in a week or so.

shocksalt1.png

shocksalt2.png

shocksalt3.png

shocksalt4.png

shocksalt5.png

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

Here is what they looked like from the oven, I just dipped the rolls and pretzels in hot water with baking soda, then egg washed, salted and baked. They didn't want to be very dark, I pulled the tray after 25 minutes, for fear of getting hard tack rolls and crunchy pretzels. Each pic is waxed and unwaxed salt of similar size. So far, the experiment is going very well. The waxed salt remained much closer to its original size and shape than plain salt. I am going to bag them and see what they look like tomorrow.

I also layered some of the finer salt in ice cream, I will check on that in a week or so.

shocksalt1.png

shocksalt2.png

shocksalt3.png

shocksalt4.png

shocksalt5.png