• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

43 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I thought that cure penetration was about a cm/day.

Depends on the curing method, cut of meat, muscle fiber orientation, temperature, etcetera

With salt box style curing, you're basically exposing the outer parts of the meat to a high concentration of salt - for a relatively short period of time - that will later equalize throughout the meat.

One of the major problems with that method is it's unpredictability, it's very easy to over-cure/over-salt - especially small cuts.

The Marianski's do a good job of describing some of the particulars here.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

19 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Depends on the curing method, cut of meat, muscle fiber orientation, temperature, etcetera

With salt box style curing, you're basically exposing the outer parts of the meat to a high concentration of salt that will later equalize throughout the meat.

One of the major problems with that method is it's unpredictability, it's very easy to over-cure/over-salt - especially small cuts.

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

5 minutes ago, gfweb said:

With salt box style curing, you're basically exposing the outer parts of the meat to a high concentration of salt that will later equalize throughout the meat.

One of the major problems with that method is it's unpredictability, it's very easy to over-cure/over-salt the meat - especially small cuts.