• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Umami addict here.

I stock many of the usual, convenient favorites: Red Boat Fish Sauce, Red Boat Salt, Squid Brand Thai fish sauce (It's inexpensive and locally available. I used to buy Tiparos brand, which was also inexpensive and locally available, but, it's, allegedly, no longer approved for sale in the USA.) Maggi Seasoning, Marmite, Italian salt-packed anchoviesOhsawa Raw Nama Shoyu (and many other soy sauces), GravyMaster Browning/Caramelizing Seasoning (yes, really...a 'secret' ingredient in a couple things I make), Ac'cent brand MSGLea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, miso, bonito, dried shrimp, several varieties of dried mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, Maytag blue cheese (occasionally), Roquefort and other blue cheeses, Limburger cheese (one of my very favorite foods), Kerrygold Dubliner (wonderful stuff, sort of a Parmesan, Swiss & Cheddar amalgamation), and many other cheeses, Prosciutto, black garlic, etcetera.

Some of my favorite homemade umami concoctions:

• Tomato Conserva: It's basically tomato paste thickened to the desired consistency. Here's how I make it......

"I switched to this method long ago because I got tired of processing tomatoes in a super-hot late summer kitchen.

Zero-heat tomato water and rich tomato conserva.

Wash tomatoes thoroughly (preferably a well flavored roma-type, like Martino's Roma or Opalka, but any tomato will work.)

Cut out the stem end of the tomato (this makes peeling easier), place tomatoes on sheet pan and freeze solid.

Remove tomatoes from freezer and run under a slow steady stream of cold water, the skins will easily slip off.

Very coarsely chop the semi-frozen tomatoes (3/4" sized pieces) and place in a cheesecloth or muslin lined colander overnight or until they stop draining (lightly salting will help.) The resulting tomato water will be quite clear.

Run the tomato remains through a food mill to remove the seeds. This is a snap because the freezing does a very good job of breaking down the tomato flesh. The resulting conserva should be thick enough so that a wooden spoon will stand up in it.

I then freeze the conserva or reduce it to the desired thickness, spread out, on stainless steel sheet pans in a slow oven, stirring occasionally until it reaches the desired consistency.

This requires some planning ahead, but it produces some very nice tomato water and conserva without a lot of fuss or heat!!!"

• Pinçage: It's basically a caramelized, flavor-enhancing mirepoix with the addition of some tomato paste, and, in my case, a touch of Red Boat Salt, fish sauce or anchovy salt. I make it in the pressure cooker.

• Caramelized Tomato Paste: Also made in the pressure cooker.

• Smoke-dried tomatoes and chiles.

• Anchovy Salt: Sea salt, fish sauce and mashed anchovies dried in the dehydrator.

• Veal Salt: Veal stock, sea salt and Red Boat salt, dried in the dehydrator.

• Anchovy Butter: Unsalted butter, anchovies, garlic clove and a touch of lemon juice.

• Anchovy Mayo

• Miso Butter

• Miso Mayo

• Salmon KatsuobushiI add a touch of Red Boat salt to mine.

• Various dried-cured muscle meats and sausages: I, almost always, add a bit of Red Boat salt or Red Boat fish sauce in lieu of a portion of the sea salt to kick-up the umami. But that's a 'secret,' so please don't tell anyone. ;)

• Dry-cured, lightly-smoked pork tenderloin: This is wonderful stuff. Pork tenderloin, sea salt, Red Boat salt and a pinch of sugar. I often dry it to the point where it can be finely grated on salad, eggs, etcetera. It's very easy for almost anyone - even those without a curing chamber - to make following Jacques Pépin's Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin method.

• Bacon 'Jam'

• Wild Mushroom Ketchup

And many. many more but I'm tired of typing, for now. :)

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Umami addict here.

I stock many of the usual, convenient favorites: Red Boat Fish Sauce, Red Boat Salt, Squid Brand Thai fish sauce (It's inexpensive and locally available. I used to buy Tiparos brand, which was also inexpensive and locally available, but, it's, allegedly, no longer approved for sale in the USA.) Maggi Seasoning, Marmite, Italian salt-packed anchoviesOhsawa Raw Nama Shoyu (and many other soy sauces), GravyMaster Browning/Caramelizing Seasoning (yes, really...a 'secret' ingredient in a couple things I make), Ac'cent brand MSGLea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, miso, bonito, dried shrimp, several varieties of dried mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, Maytag blue cheese (occasionally), Roquefort and other blue cheeses, Limburger cheese (one of my very favorite foods), Kerrygold Dubliner (wonderful stuff, sort of a Parmesan, Swiss & Cheddar amalgamation), and many other cheeses, Prosciutto, black garlic, etcetera.

• Tomato Conserva: It's basically tomato paste thickened to the desired consistency. Here's how I make it......

"I switched to this method long ago because I got tired of processing tomatoes in a super-hot late summer kitchen.

Wash tomatoes thoroughly (preferably a well flavored roma-type, like Martino's Roma or Opalka, but any tomato will work.)

Cut out the stem end of the tomato (this makes peeling easier), place tomatoes on sheet pan and freeze solid.

Remove tomatoes from freezer and run under a slow steady stream of cold water, the skins will easily slip off.

Very coarsely chop the semi-frozen tomatoes (3/4" sized pieces) and place in a cheesecloth or muslin lined colander overnight or until they stop draining (lightly salting will help.) The resulting tomato water will be quite clear.

Run the tomato remains through a food mill to remove the seeds. This is a snap because the freezing does a very good job of breaking down the tomato flesh. The resulting conserva should be thick enough so that a wooden spoon will stand up in it.

I then freeze the conserva or reduce it to the desired thickness, spread out, on stainless steel sheet pans in a slow oven, stirring occasionally until it reaches the desired consistency.

This requires some planning ahead, but it produces some very nice tomato water and conserva without a lot of fuss or heat!!!"

• Pinçage: It's basically a caramelized, flavor-enhancing mirepoix with the addition of some tomato paste, and, in my case, a touch of Red Boat Salt, fish sauce or anchovy salt. I make it in the pressure cooker.

• Anchovy Salt: Sea salt, fish sauce and mashed anchovies dried in the dehydrator.

• Anchovy Butter: Unsalted butter, anchovies, garlic clover and a touch of lemon juice.

• Anchovy Mayo

• Miso Butter

• Miso Mayo

• Various dried-cured muscle meats and sausages: I, almost always, add a bit of Red Boat salt or Red Boat fish sauce in lieu of a portion of the sea salt to kick-up the umami. But that's a 'secret,' so please don't tell anyone. ;)

• Dry-cured, lightly-smoked pork tenderloin: This is wonderful stuff. Pork tenderloin, sea salt, Red Boat salt and a pinch of sugar. I often dry it to the point where it can be finely grated on salad, eggs, etcetera. It's very easy for almost anyone - even those without a curing chamber - to make following Jacques Pépin's Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin method.

• Bacon 'Jam'

• Wild Mushroom Ketchup

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Umami addict here.

I then freeze the conserva or dry it to the desired thickness, spread out, on stainless steel sheet pans in a slow oven, stirring occasionally until it reaches the desired consistency.

• Anchovy Butter: Unsalted butter, anchovies, garlic clover and a touch of lemon juice.

• Anchovy Mayo

• Miso Butter

• Miso Mayo

• Bacon 'Jam'

• Wild Mushroom Ketchup

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Umami addict here.

I stock many of the usual, convenient favorites: Red Boat Fish Sauce, Red Boat Salt, Squid Brand Thai fish sauce (It's inexpensive and locally available. I used to buy Tiparos brand, which was also inexpensive and locally available, but, it's, allegedly, no longer approved for sale in the USA.) Maggi Seasoning, Marmite, Italian salt-packed anchoviesOhsawa Raw Nama Shoyu (and many other soy sauces), GravyMaster Browning/Caramelizing Seasoning (yes, really...a 'secret' ingredient in a couple things I make), Ac'cent brand MSGLea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, miso, bonito, dried shrimp, several varieties or dried mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, Maytag blue cheese (occasionally), Roquefort and other blue cheeses, Limburger cheese (one of my very favorite foods), Kerrygold Dubliner (wonderful stuff, sort of a Parmesan, Swiss & Cheddar amalgamation), and many other cheeses, Prosciutto, black garlic, etcetera.

I then freeze the conserva or dry it to the desired thickness, spread out, on stainless steel sheet pans in a slow oven, stirring occasionally until it reaches the desired consistency.

• Anchovy Mayo

• Miso Butter

• Miso Mayo

• Bacon 'Jam'

• Wild Mushroom Ketchup

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Umami addict here.

I stock many of the usual, convenient favorites: Red Boat Fish Sauce, Red Boat Salt, Squid Brand Thai fish sauce (It's inexpensive and locally available. I used to buy Tiparos brand, which was also inexpensive and locally available, but, it's, allegedly, no longer approved for sale in the USA.) Maggi Seasoning, Marmite, Italian salt-packed anchoviesOhsawa Raw Nama Shoyu (and many other soy sauces), GravyMaster Browning/Caramelizing Seasoning (yes, really...a 'secret' ingredient and a couple things I make), Ac'cent brand MSGLea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, miso, bonito, dried shrimp, several varieties or dried mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, Maytag blue cheese (occasionally), Roquefort and other blue cheeses, Limburger cheese (one of my very favorite foods), Kerrygold Dubliner (wonderful stuff, sort of a Parmesan, Swiss & Cheddar amalgamation), and many other cheeses, Prosciutto, black garlic, etcetera.

• Tomato Conserva: It's basically tomato paste thickened to the desired consistency. Here's how I do it......

I then freeze the conserva or dry it to the desired thickness, spread out,  on stainless steel sheet pans in a slow oven, stirring occasionally until it reaches the desired 

• Smoked, dried, tomatoes and chiles.

• Anchovy Mayo

• Miso Butter

• Miso Mayo

• Various dried-cured muscle meats and sausages: I, almost always, add a bit of Red Boat salt or Red Boat fish sauce in lieu of a portion of the sea salt to kick-up the umami. But that's 'secret,' so please don't tell anyone. :)

• Dry-cured, lightly-smoked pork tenderloin: This is wonderful stuff. Pork tenderloin, sea salt, Red Boat salt and a touch of sugar. I, often, dry it to the point where it can be finely grated on salad, eggs, etcetera. It's very easy for almost anyone, without a curing chamber, to make following Jacques Pépin's Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin method.

• Bacon 'Jam'

• Wild Mushroom Ketchup

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Umami addict here.

I stock many of the usual, convenient favorites: Red Boat Fish Sauce, Red Boat Salt, Squid Brand Thai fish sauce (It's inexpensive and locally available. I used to buy Tiparos brand, which was also inexpensive and locally available, but, it's, allegedly, no longer approved for sale in the USA.) Maggi Seasoning, Marmite, Italian salt-packed anchoviesOhsawa Raw Nama Shoyu (and many other soy sauces), GravyMaster Browning/Caramelizing Seasoning (yes, really...a 'secret' ingredient and a couple things I make), Ac'cent brand MSGLea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, miso, bonito, dried shrimp, several varieties or dried mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, Maytag blue cheese (occasionally), Roquefort and other blue cheeses, Limburger cheese (one of my very favorite foods), Kerrygold Dubliner (wonderful stuff, sort of a Parmesan, Swiss & Cheddar amalgamation), and many other cheeses, Prosciutto, black garlic, etcetera.

• Tomato Conserva: It's basically tomato paste thickened to the desired consistency. Here's how I do it......

Very coarsely chop the semi-frozen tomatoes (3/4" sized pieces) and place in a cheesecloth or muslim lined colander overnight or until they stop draining (lightly salting will help.) The resulting tomato water will be quite clear.

I then freeze the conserva or dry it to the desired thickness, spread out,  on stainless steel sheet pans in a slow oven, stirring occasionally until it reaches the desired 

• Anchovy Mayo

• Miso Butter

• Miso Mayo

• Various dried-cured muscle meats and sausages: I, almost always, add a bit of Red Boat salt or Red Boat fish sauce in lieu of a portion of the sea salt to kick-up the umami. But that's 'secret,' so please don't tell anyone. :)

• Dry-cured, lightly-smoked pork tenderloin: This is wonderful stuff. Pork tenderloin, sea salt, Red Boat salt and a touch of sugar. I, often, dry it to the point where it can be finely grated on salad, eggs, etcetera. It's very easy for almost anyone, without a curing chamber, to make following Jacques Pépin's Saucisson of Pork Tenderloin method.

• Bacon 'Jam'

• Wild Mushroom Ketchup

Martin Fisher

Martin Fisher

Umami addict here.

I stock many of the usual, convenient favorites: Red Boat Fish Sauce, Red Boat Salt, Squid Brand Thai fish sauce (It's inexpensive and locally available, great for marinades and the like. I used to buy Tiparos brand, which was also inexpensive and locally available, but, it's, allegedly, no longer approved for sale in the USA.) Maggi Seasoning, Marmite, Italian salt-packed anchoviesOhsawa Raw Nama Shoyu (and many other soy sauces), GravyMaster Browning/Caramelizing Seasoning (yes, really...a 'secret' ingredient and a couple things I make), Ac'cent brand MSGLea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, miso, bonito, dried shrimp, several varieties or dried mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, Maytag blue cheese (occasionally), Roquefort and other blue cheeses, Limburger cheese (one of my very favorite foods), Kerrygold Dubliner (wonderful stuff, sort of a Parmesan, Swiss & Cheddar amalgamation), and many other cheeses, Prosciutto, black garlic, etcetera.

Very coarsely chop the semi-frozen tomatoes (3/4" sized pieces) and place in a cheesecloth or muslim lined colander overnight or until they stop draining (lightly salting will help.) The resulting tomato water will be quite clear.

• Anchovy Mayo

• Miso Butter

• Miso Mayo

• Bacon 'Jam'

• Wild Mushroom Ketchup