• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

I use all the above.

Worchestershire sauce (Wuhster to me - as it was always called in my house by my British father) these days is too often now made even without or with very little actual anchovy (check the labels!). I use it though occasionally - and in moderation, it is not really that 'one note' or immediately detectable.

Good dark vinegars (black, balsamic) are one thing I use very often that I think can bring an umami depth. Mushrooms, especially duxelle or wild/dried. Techniques such as long slow cooking often work too, especially if tomato paste and red wine are included. A bit of deeply caramelized sugar or onions added to some dishes perhaps would work as well to bring or enhance umami.

Is this what you are trying to get at? I am unclear if you want us to just list bottled stuff that we use to add umami?

Deryn

Deryn

I use all the above.

Worchestershire sauce (Wuhster to me - as it was always called in my house by my British father) these days is too often now made even without the anchovies (check the labels!). I use it though occasionally - and in moderation, it is not really that 'one note' or immediately detectable.

Good dark vinegars (black, balsamic) are one thing I use very often that I think can bring an umami depth. Mushrooms, especially duxelle or wild/dried. Techniques such as long slow cooking often work too, especially if tomato paste and red wine are included. A bit of deeply caramelized sugar or onions added to some dishes perhaps would work as well to bring or enhance umami.

Is this what you are trying to get at? I am unclear if you want us to just list bottled stuff that we use to add umami?