• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gold leaf source

I'm looking for a Seattle source for gold leaf. I've never used it before, but I have a recipe I want to try which involves affixing it to chocolate on a cake. I've checked a few obvious places like Sur La Table, with no luck. Any ideas?

You can try and get it mail ordered from Foods of India in NYC.

They have some.

You can use my name when you call the store. Ask for the owner, Arun Sinha or the manager Krishna.

You can tell them Suvir Saran, cooking teacher from NYC asked you to call them for it.

I shall post their information for you next.

I am sorry that I told you about a NY store. But I know they ship around the country. Also they are very reliable and the best spice store I know of.

I know some other eGulleteers have mail ordered successfully from them.

I hope you are able to get it locally if you need it today.. otherwise, I would encourage you to give them a try if all else fails.

All the best with your gold leaf expedition. Maybe you will post a picture of the dish afterwards??? Would be great.

PS: I make a flourless chocolate and hazelnut cake and that is exactly how I decorate the cake. With gold leaf. And sometimes I use both gold and silver. :rolleyes:

If you want to get it locally I would try a large art supply store like Seattle Art. Just make sure it is real "gold" gold leaf and you should be fine using it on a dessert. There are also metalic gold colored "luster dusts" available at Sur La Table and that very funky cake decorating store on Roosevelt.

By the way - welcome to eGullet! :smile:

Make sure you ask for edible gold leaf. Would an art store would carry the edible kind? I'm not sure what a manufacturer would add, but if the target market is an art store, I don't think they would ensure it's edible.

You might want to take a look at:

Dilettante Chocolates Broadway Restaurant & Bakery

416 Broadway E. Seattle, WA, 98102

206-329-6463

Dilettante.com

-or-

Dilettante Retail Store

Pike Place Market

1603 1st Avenue

Seattle, WA 98101

206-728-9144

It's been years since I've been there, but I think they use it. You might want to ask them for their supplier's name. Hopefully, they won't tell you, "just go into any art store." :biggrin:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera