• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pomelo Leaf

liuzhou

As ever I'm mystified. Today I came across bunches of pomelo leaves being sold in the vegetable section of a supermarket. I've seen every part of the fruit, including the peel, used in recipes here, but never the leaves. Nor can I find any reference to their use in cooking.

I know that their essential oils are used in TCM and The Oxford Companion to Food notes that:

The same author [SIMOONS, FREDERICK (1991), Food in China, Boca Raton, Fla.: CRC Press] has a good passage on the importance of the pummelo in Chinese culture, observing among other things that: ‘Pummelo leaves or skins are soaked in water to make a ceremonial bath to ritually cleanse a person and repel evil.’

I suppose they could be used in the same manner as other citrus leaves, especially lime leaves but can find no such evidence.

Anyone want to weigh in?

pomeloleaves.thumb.jpg.3f38d9607d0fe8a2ceac4915315210af.jpg

Pomelo Leaves

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Can you upload a higher res photo that I can zoom into?  Years ago, on our Saigon trip, we made a day trip that included a local restaurant - one of the dishes we ordered came with a large bush of herbs - there were probably 12 different types in there and a couple I couldn't identify but really enjoyed and have been hunting them ever since!  The shape of my favorite looked a little like the pomelo leaf, but I'd like to see the vein structure if possible as that would clue me in better.  It had a nice almost lemony flavor - but very different from a makrut lime leaf.

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Can you upload a higher res photo that I can zoom into?  Years ago, on our Saigon trip, we made a day trip that included a local restaurant - one of the dishes we ordered came with a large bush of herbs - there were probably 12 different types in there and a couple I couldn't identify but really enjoyed and have been hunting them ever since!  The shape of my favorite looked a little like the pomelo leaf, but I'd like to see the vein structure if possible as that would clue me in better.  It had a nice almost lemony flavor - but very different from a makrut lime leaf.

There are many kinds of pomelos.

dcarch

9 hours ago, TicTac said:

Makes sense given the use of Kaffir lime leaves.

Yes. That's what I thought, but wondered if anyone had ever tried pomelo. All my local friends are giving me blank looks.

I have reached out to an ex-student whose family farm pomelos near here to ask her but am still awaiting her reply. I will pass on any information asap.

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

Unfortunately, the eG software reduces the resolution of any images over 1000 pixels, so this is the best I can do here.

As you can see the vein structure is unclear on the glossy side, but more so on the reverse.

pomelo1.thumb.jpg.4b718c19faebf4093bafc0105b74cac7.jpg

pomelo2.thumb.jpg.9978f9613c684b313c0a7493bbbc8d9a.jpg

Here is the bunch I purchased (42 cents for 150 grams).

pomelo.thumb.jpg.412d05300e23228e0d05c5a010ca634b.jpg

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Unfortunately, the eG software reduces the resolution of any images over 1000 pixels, so this is the best I can do here.

As you can see the vein structure is unclear on the glossy side, but more so on the reverse.

pomelo1.thumb.jpg.4b718c19faebf4093bafc0105b74cac7.jpg

pomelo2.thumb.jpg.9978f9613c684b313c0a7493bbbc8d9a.jpg

Here is the bunch I purchased (42 cents for 150 grams).

pomelo.thumb.jpg.412d05300e23228e0d05c5a010ca634b.jpg

They're diploid? Hmmm. Definitely not what I had in Vietnam then.

I finally contacted my ex-student with the pomelo farming family. She told me she has never heard of the leaves being eaten or any other culinary usage, but repeated the Oxford Companion information re ceremonial baths in my opening post, adding that they are boiled in water which is also then used to bathe children with colds.

So why they were being sold as a vegetable or spice remains a mystery.

On 12/13/2023 at 11:23 PM, jedovaty said:

It could also be as simple as some enterprising entrepreneur drawing a connection to citrus leaves, then decided to put them up for sale.

Could be. Who knows?

Edited by liuzhou (log)