• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

fledflew

fledflew

I signed up for one on Tuesday afternoon at the 199 (230 after shipping) price.  I've been following the Cuisinart Steam oven thread(s) for a while now and have been sooo close to picking one of those up several times now.  Came across an article about the Tovala in my google news feed on Monday and did a little reading.  After verifying the interior and exterior measurements, confirming that I could prepare my own food in it, seeing the one year warranty, and admiring the design aesthetic, I pulled the trigger.  1/3 lower cost than the Cuisinart Steam Oven and seems like it should do everything I would need it to.  I paused the kickstarter video and tried to figure out exactly what controls are on the top panel along the front since I'd be manually inputting settings but I couldn't make them out.  Not a real big fan of having to use an idevice in order to tell it to turn on.  I have absolutely no interest in ordering their prepared meals, although I might get a few for research purposes.  Reason being, I suspect that the bar codes on the meal packages that the Tovala scans might only carry time and temp info (as opposed to actual food contents, etc).  Might be worth it to crack that code and maybe create a card of commonly used settings (in barcode form) and tape it to the side of the machine. 

fledflew

fledflew

I signed up for one on Tuesday afternoon at the 199 (230 after shipping) price.  I've been following the Cuisinart Steam oven thread(s) for a while now and have been sooo close to picking one of those up several times now.  Came across an article about the Tovola in my google news feed on Monday and did a little reading.  After verifying the interior and exterior measurements, confirming that I could prepare my own food in it, seeing the one year warranty, and admiring the design aesthetic, I pulled the trigger.  1/3 lower cost than the Cuisinart Steam Oven and seems like it should do everything I would need it to.  I paused the kickstarted video and tried to figure out exactly what controls are on the top panel along the front since I'd be manually inputting settings but I couldn't make them out.  Not a real big fan of having to use an idevice in order to tell it to turn on.  I have absolutely no interest in ordering their prepared meals, although I might get a few for research purposes.  Reason being, I suspect that the bar codes on the meal packages that the Tovola scans might only carry time and temp info (as opposed to actual food contents, etc).  Might be worth it to crack that code and maybe create a card of commonly used settings (in barcode form) and tape it to the side of the machine.