• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

huiray

huiray

A quick reminder that - in a general sense - soy sauce is NOT NECESSARY for a dish to be "Asian", whatever "Asian" means.

Ditto, that adding soy sauce to a dish does NOT immediately make it "Asian", whatever "Asian" means.

For that matter, as an example of a "typically-thought-to-be-Asian" dish, I ALMOST NEVER add soy sauce to fried rice. It simply detracts from the flavors of the other ingredients in so many cases. BUT - so many folks feel that they NEED to add soy sauce to fried rice (or to anything else thought to be "Asian") to make it "authentic". That is simply incorrect.

BTW - I, for myself, find it curious how "Tamari" soy sauce occupies such an exalted state in Western discussions of "Asian" food. I don't find it anything special, especially as "Tamari" by itself does not guarantee "gluten-free" status which some folks tout. The many other grades of soy sauce seem to have more features going for it especially if one samples the brands/grades produced by the producers themselves.

huiray

huiray

A quick reminder that - in a general sense - soy sauce is NOT NECESSARY for a dish to be "Asian", whatever "Asian" means.

Ditto, that adding soy sauce to a dish does NOT immediately make it "Asian", whatever "Asian" means.

For that matter, as an example of a "typically-thought-to-be-Asian" dish, I ALMOST NEVER add soy sauce to fried rice. It simply detracts from the flavors of the other ingredients in so many cases. BUT - so many folks feel that they NEED to add soy sauce to fried rice to make it "authentic". That is simply incorrect.

BTW - I, for myself, find it curious how "Tamari" soy sauce occupies such an exalted state in Western discussions of "Asian" food. I don't find it anything special, especially as "Tamari" by itself does not guarantee "gluten-free" status which some folks tout. The many other grades of soy sauce seem to have more features going for it especially if one samples the brands/grades produced by the producers themselves.

huiray

huiray

For that matter, as an example of a "typically-thought-to-be-Asian" dish, I ALMOST NEVER add soy sauce to fried rice. It simply detracts from the flavors of the other ingredients in so many cases. BUT - so many folks feel that they NEED to add soy sauce to fried rice to make it "authentic". That is simply incorrect.