• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

I used to cook risotto in any old pan. If you're doing it traditionally, the pan makes virtually no difference, because you never stop stirring. I've used heavy aluminum, which heats very evenly, and enameled cast iron, which does not. Same results. And you don't need fast temperature response for risotto. Just the occasional small adjustment to keep things simmering at about the right rate. A fairly wide pan might help things go faster, since it speeds evaporation.

Nowadays I always do risotto in a pressure cooker. So much faster than the traditional method, and no tradeoffs. 

I haven't tried using the fuzzy rice cooker. Not sure what the workflow would be, or the settings on the machine. With a pressure cooker, you use it as a stockpot when sweating the arromatics, cooking down mushrooms, etc., and then pressurize to cook the rice. I usually undercook slightly under pressure, so I can finish to the exact right consistency while stirring. This finishing step just adds a couple of minutes.

paulraphael

paulraphael

I used to cook risotto in any old pan. If you're doing it traditionally, the pan makes virtually no difference, because you never stop stirring. I've used heavy aluminum, which heats very evenly, and enameled cast iron, which does not. Makes zero difference. And you don't need fast temperature response for risotto. Just the occasional small adjustment to keep things simmering at about the right rate. A fairly wide pan might help things go faster, since it speeds evaporation.

Nowadays I always do risotto in a pressure cooker. So much faster than the traditional method, and no tradeoffs. 

I haven't tried using the fuzzy rice cooker. Not sure what the workflow would be, or the settings on the machine. With a pressure cooker, you use it as a stockpot when sweating the arromatics, cooking down mushrooms, etc., and then pressurize to cook the rice. I usually undercook slightly under pressure, so I can finish to the exact right consistency while stirring. This finishing step just adds a couple of minutes.