• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject

I recently read a book about Victorian cooking techniques, and was highly intrigued by the larding needle. It’s an implement they used to thread small pieces of fat or butter throughout dry meat. 

I couldn’t find a single contemporary photo of this being done to a chicken (I did find one of quail.) But anyway, so determined was I to try this out on some desiccated protein that I tracked down a larding needle online, ordered it from America, and created a fat-infused Coronary Chicken; one half of it threaded with pancetta, the other with butter. And roasted with fennel, apples, carrots, garlic and thyme.

It looks a bit unappealing in the before and after, to be sure, but MAN was that a juicy, tasty, delicious roast chicken.

image.jpg.241bbe611ea798fed3709fd1bcd2db

image.jpg.054f81417b19bc6d1832597a5959fe

image.jpg.b00470ef5b0fb77b98d9113f5b4131

rarerollingobject

rarerollingobject

I recently read a book about Victorian cooking techniques, and was highly intrigued by the larding needle. It’s an implement they used to thread small pieces of fat or butter throughout dry meat. 

I couldn’t find a single contemporary photo of this being done to a chicken (I did find one of quail.) But anyway, so determined was I to try this out on some desiccated protein that I tracked down a larding needle online, ordered it from America, and created a fat-infused Coronary Chicken; one half of it threaded with pancetta, the other with butter. And roasted with fennel, apples, carrots, garlic and thyme.

It looks a bit unappealing in the before and after, to be sure, but MAN was that a juicy, tasty, delicious roast chicken.

image.jpg.241bbe611ea798fed3709fd1bcd2db

image.jpg.054f81417b19bc6d1832597a5959fe