• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey Breast CSB w Bacon

rotuts

I have quite a few Fz turkey breasts in the freezer.   remarkable at $ 0.69 cents /lb

Ive boned one out, removed the two tendons / side and cooked them in the CSB w generic bacon on the top.

the most recent two looked like this :

569e6e580c5d5_2TBwBacon.thumb.jpg.dbcb42

the bacon is further browned w a torch after they cool.  Easy to do when its 20 F outside.  these were for sandwiches.  each TkBr is about 550 gms

here is one cut :

569e6e9e96681_TBcut.thumb.jpg.676ab8d049

and 

569e6ead57459_TBdone2.thumb.jpg.ede9cbec

I did these in the CSB 30 minutes  at 300 F steam-bake.   plenty of steam when you open the door

i thermopen'd them and the 'pen read 160 F.   seemed fairly high for 30 @ 300 F   I can't say if my probe was in the middle or on a lower edge.

you can't see it in the first cut pic, but its ''ros-ey'

I made a simple sandwich just now   ( these are from yest. PM )  TJ's branded fresh sourdough ( Pig's )   mayo  S & P

medium cut

no pic of the sandwich, I snarffed it down Toot-Sweet.   it was delicious and the TB remarkably tender and flavorful.   certainly some of that flavor came from

the generic bacon  ( On Sale ! )

what surprised me is that these TB rival if not surpass my traditional SV  TB's   142.5 x 6 h

and were done is 30 minutes.  

also, there was plenty of roast turkey aromas in the kitchen  

I would have liked to know the real internal temp, but from now on Im doing these this way.

this FzTurkBr was in  the fridge for a while, so i did not chop up the carcass, broil , then IP on 'soup' for stock and future gravy.

mostly because i was hungry and lazy.

"  Better than SV "

there, I said it.

Steam, Steam, Steam

I said that too

smiley-money-mouth.gif.6a81aad2082c97f07

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

helm I do think this bacon added ' flavor '

its generic, i.e. supermarket brand  """ On Sale """

smiley-money-mouth.gif.a5562c44a71d88c4d

as the sale at the branded maker ran out, they sub's Oscar.Mayer