• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

FeChef

FeChef

16 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

I have both an AMAZEN tube smoker and a smoking gun. Smoking Guns are best for special plating effects or infusing smoke flavor into liquids. Cheese and butter also take the Smoking Gun well, but they can end up oversmoked and ashy in the blink of an eye. It's somewhat expensive and has limited applications unless you do a lot of smoked soups, salsas, or drinks. (I had a great drink at The Aviary featuring tequilla in a giant crystal decanter that was filled with cigar smoke -- an awesome application.) The Smoking Gun is no substitute for an actual smoker when it comes to adding smoked flavor to meat.

The Amazen tube smoker is, dollar for dollar, the best purchase I've ever made for my kitchen. It's super cheap and works for extended cold and hot smoking. Combined with my Weber gas grill, I no longer feel the need for a dedicated smoker. Great for cold-smoking cheese, fish, or meat designated for the sous vide bath. Fantastic for hot smoking pork shoulder, ribs, pastrami... whatever. I get about 4 hours of smoke at 225F from my 12" smoker... just set it and forget it. A great value for a tool that excels at most traditional hot and cold smoking tasks.

I dare you to tell the difference from a smoking gun smoked soup and a soup with a few drops of Wrights all natural liquid smoke.

And yes i bought a smoking gun from Williams Sonoma and returned it a few days later.

FeChef

FeChef

13 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

I have both an AMAZEN tube smoker and a smoking gun. Smoking Guns are best for special plating effects or infusing smoke flavor into liquids. Cheese and butter also take the Smoking Gun well, but they can end up oversmoked and ashy in the blink of an eye. It's somewhat expensive and has limited applications unless you do a lot of smoked soups, salsas, or drinks. (I had a great drink at The Aviary featuring tequilla in a giant crystal decanter that was filled with cigar smoke -- an awesome application.) The Smoking Gun is no substitute for an actual smoker when it comes to adding smoked flavor to meat.

The Amazen tube smoker is, dollar for dollar, the best purchase I've ever made for my kitchen. It's super cheap and works for extended cold and hot smoking. Combined with my Weber gas grill, I no longer feel the need for a dedicated smoker. Great for cold-smoking cheese, fish, or meat designated for the sous vide bath. Fantastic for hot smoking pork shoulder, ribs, pastrami... whatever. I get about 4 hours of smoke at 225F from my 12" smoker... just set it and forget it. A great value for a tool that excels at most traditional hot and cold smoking tasks.

I dare you to tell the difference from a smoking gun smoked soup and a soup with a few drops of Wrights all natural liquid smoke.