• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

clarity.

N

8 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Interesting that this was pre-internet, and of course it stays in your mind. But it's so commonplace now. People will generally buy their tea these days (or maybe not, I don't really know), but the rest is classic. Laptop and notebook on the table, sit there for hours on that one cup of tea. A couple of weeks ago I ran into a friend and we wanted to go get a coffee, but we went from one coffee shop to another with no luck. Each table had one person at it nursing a cup of something and their laptop! They were clearly entrenched and not going anywhere.

Next thing you know the tables will have to have some sort of parking meter.

And it's really a shame for the paying customers to have no place to sit.

lindag

lindag

N

8 hours ago, cakewalk said:

Interesting that this was pre-internet, and of course it stays in your mind. But it's so commonplace now. People will generally buy their tea these days (or maybe not, I don't really know), but the rest is classic. Laptop and notebook on the table, sit there for hours on that one cup of tea. A couple of weeks ago I ran into a friend and we wanted to go get a coffee, but we went from one coffee shop to another with no luck. Each table had one person at it nursing a cup of something and their laptop! They were clearly entrenched and not going anywhere.

Next thing you know the tables will have to have some sort of parking meter.