• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

Well, best-laid plans for Sunday dinner from our fresh fish market were thwarted by a huge 60' mature tree coming down in the wind across the power lines. Scared me quite senseless. It blew the two transformers on either pole between where the lines were breached, but they got the power back on respectably quickly within a few hours.

It was too cold to grill anyway, and I certainly had no great urge to cook in a swampy backyard where a crew was trying to work to restore power that had blown up MOST spectacularly a few hours before, not knowing when or even if power would be back on that night.

We went to a Mexican place that used to be our favorite years ago, but won't be named, because, sadly, after this visit we won't be back. We've been noticing for a while on our infrequent visits after a change of ownership, that quality was going down, but this visit was the clincher. The default salsa that came out literally was pureed canned tomato. No jalapeno, no cilantro, and worse, no onion. The husband pronounced it "terrible," and he eats stuff I wouldn't touch. I am not exaggerating to say that Hunt's canned tomato sauce is much more flavorful than what we were served. Mmmkay. So I ask for the hot salsa they used to have. It comes out in a small dish, and appears to at least have some crushed red Italian-style pepper in a very thin sauce. I said, "At least this one looks like it has some flavor". After I taste it, my husband asks, "So it has flavor?" I make a grimace, and reply, "Yeah, a really bad one." The rest of the meal was edible, unlike the "salsas," but barely, and with heavy hearts, we turn out backs on a restaurant where the Latino staff used to greet us by name. The new management fired all the old guard, some of which were there when we started eating there about twenty years ago. Apparently they also fired, and failed to replace, anyone with a palette or even rudimentary knowledge of Latin cuisine. :( :S

So the seafood was deferred until Monday night. For the first time, they had no red snapper, and the blue crab sign was gone from the window. They were also out of clams. The husband got his usual fried catfish with hushpuppies and fries, and I got them to fry me up large shrimp with some okra. I had made homemade tarter sauce before we left with Dukes mayo, chopped onion, capers, flatleaf parsley and a leetle Tobasco sauce. This made up for the bad dinner the day before!

I also ordered a dozen oysters for later at 75 cents a piece. When I got them home, there were sixteen in the bag. I love lagniappe.  :x

Edit: I forgot to add finely minced dill gherkins to this list of ingredients for the tartar sauce, one of the most important ingredients! Some like it with sweet pickles, but I don't like that at all and don't eat it if it's served like that.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

Well, best-laid plans for Sunday dinner from our fresh fish market were thwarted by a huge 60' mature tree coming down in the wind across the power lines. Scared me quite senseless. It blew the two transformers on either pole between where the lines were breached, but they got the power back on respectably quickly within a few hours.

It was too cold to grill anyway, and I certainly had no great urge to cook in a swampy backyard where a crew was trying to work to restore power that had blown up MOST spectacularly a few hours before, not knowing when or even if power would be back on that night.

We went to a Mexican place that used to be our favorite years ago, but won't be named, because, sadly, after this visit we won't be back. We've been noticing for a while on our infrequent visits after a change of ownership, that quality was going down, but this visit was the clincher. The default salsa that came out literally was pureed canned tomato. No jalapeno, no cilantro, and worse, no onion. The husband pronounced it "terrible," and he eats stuff I wouldn't touch. I am not exaggerating to say that Hunt's canned tomato sauce is much more flavorful than what we were served. Mmmkay. So I ask for the hot salsa they used to have. It comes out in a small dish, and appears to at least have some crushed red Italian-style pepper in a very thin sauce. I said, "At least this one looks like it has some flavor". After I taste it, my husband asks, "So it has flavor?" I make a grimace, and reply, "Yeah, a really bad one." The rest of the meal was edible, unlike the "salsas," but barely, and with heavy hearts, we turn out backs on a restaurant where the Latino staff used to greet us by name. The new management fired all the old guard, some of which were there when we started eating there about twenty years ago. Apparently they also fired, and failed to replace, anyone with a palette or even rudimentary knowledge of Latin cuisine. :( :S

So the seafood was deferred until Monday night. For the first time, they had no red snapper, and the blue crab sign was gone from the window. They were also out of clams. The husband got his usual fried catfish with hushpuppies and fries, and I got them to fry me up large shrimp with some okra. I had made homemade tarter sauce before we left with Dukes mayo, chopped onion, capers, flatleaf parsley and a leetle Tobasco sauce. This made up for the bad dinner the day before!

I also ordered a dozen oysters for later at 75 cents a piece. When I got them home, there were sixteen in the bag. I love lagniappe.  :x

Edit: I forgot to add finely minced dill gherkins to this list of ingredients for the tartar sauce, one of the most important ingredients! Some like it with sweet pickles, but I don't like that at all and don't eat it if it's served like that.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes