• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 4/18/2022 at 2:09 PM, AAQuesada said:

-sugar (raises the temperature for coagulation)

https://www.incredibleegg.org/professionals/manufacturers/real-egg-functionality/coagulation-thickening

Don't know if this helps, but it seems there are several scientific papers on the subject as well  

It doesn't explain it, because what's at issue here is when the sugar is added. There's the same amount of sugar in the solution whether you add it first to the eggs or to the milk and cream.

We'd need a hypothesis that a high concentration of sugar added directly to the yolks causes some kind of change that later makes them coagulate at a higher temperature, even at the same final sugar concentration.

I can't find anything in the scientific literature that talks about this.

Edited to add: it would make sense that this would help if you're adding eggs to hot liquid. But if it helps when you add them to cold liquid and then bring the whole mix up to temperature, I don't know what would be going on. I'm a bit skeptical.

paulraphael

paulraphael

On 4/18/2022 at 2:09 PM, AAQuesada said:

-sugar (raises the temperature for coagulation)

https://www.incredibleegg.org/professionals/manufacturers/real-egg-functionality/coagulation-thickening

Don't know if this helps, but it seems there are several scientific papers on the subject as well  

It doesn't explain it, because what's at issue here is when the sugar is added. There's the same amount of sugar in the solution whether you add it first to the eggs or to the milk and cream.

We'd need a hypothesis that a high concentration of sugar added directly to the yolks causes some kind of change that later makes them coagulate at a higher temperature, even at the same final sugar concentration.

I can't find anything in the scientific literature that talks about this.