• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cooking kits for kids how fun they are!

Ok I can not find the topic and can not imagine I am the only one who loves the heck out of the new "cooking kits" for kids

I bought a giant load of these kits this summer and we did one a week with the kids making their own "vlog" for their folks while they were at work. 

the kits really truly taste terrible but the process of making them? 

ok my 5 year old granddaughter is the best example of an hour sit down learning with her each time we pull these kits out they are more fun than the last because she is starting to recognize the process and how to mix the little packages. 

for less than $4 each an hour of fun ? I only had an Easy Bake Oven and some kind of candy bug thing as a kid 

she would open the box, we watched a" how to" youtube because we do not read Japanese

there is cutting, sorting, following directions, assembly and finally you sit and see a perfect result! this was something I can sit and do with her or now after she has done a few kits she knows how to look up the kits on you tube and follow the directions her self 

the 9 year old grandson he adores them as well and has asked for some for his friends to do with him ..I have only tried the Kracie but wanted to know if anyone knew of these and has other brands to try ? if not and you have kids and love to cook ..yes the kitchen hands on .. is better but fun is fun! 

we have not had one failure with the Kracie kits ..some taste horrific like the takoyaki? holy crap… but for a kid? the idea of first making tentacles and then putting hem in the little dough and nuking? the 9 year old for $3 spent an hour himself figuring it out …and making it ..while I sat made my own and talked to him about the dynamics of what we were doing ..9 year olds have a multitude of speculations and observations so this is perfect for them to do on rainy days…a…the whole drama of spitting it out when he finally tasted it ..but the smell of it cooking gave us a clue it was kind of curry like but hotdoggy at the same time? ..and then offering the rest one at a time to others to watch their reactions ..but they looked perfect as the picture had sauce even! … all the kits have looked perfect in the end . Taste ..well that varies with what they are I guess? 

I had no kitchen this summer (the kits only need water, sometimes a microwave, tape and scissors so far that I have found that is all you need "extra" )  and we do a "food thing" once a week with the kids no matter what they either cook or learn something about food and eating ..so these were a blast and I am now hunting the internet for more fun kits . These are what I have left and just saw a ramen one on amazon

the sushi kits and bento boxes were amazingly accurate and tasted good to the kids ..some are candy and some are not ..the takoyaki was not candy! it was takoyaki in miniature adorable! Their dad is a chef and we did a donut kit with him and he loved it himself! 

anyway here is a pic of what I have left we are doing these the next couple of food visits (I do see a light the frame for the counters is built but postponed  pouring due to torrential rains this week )  and even when the kitchen is in …if I find more (and I hear there is a ramen one?) I am so going to buy it they are a blast I think!  I hope to find more types/brands of these kits (reasonable prices some are upwards of $10 and I cannot justify that )  before the kids get bored with them! So far we have done maybe 6 each and no sign of that happening yet

if you have kids in your life ..or not because even if I didn't I think I would play with these 

I say we spend so much on lesser crap why not try one of these or another brand of cooking kits ?

and then follow it exactly they are a lesson in direction, patience and cuter than shit to make …crappy weather no mess no fuss fun fun fun! 

/22660306512_1db2db2386.jpg

(youtube has tons of successes and failures of these kits if you are interested they are kind of a fun to watch as well just to see what happens for folks who do follow instructions and those who don't LOLOL!  ..the kids each have their favorite reviewer they watch but there are some hysterical ones like "Shane" he is just wrong …)  

kids, fun and food ..awesome combo 

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 2
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I have never heard of nor seen these. Where did you find them - only on the web? I don't have little ones around but I can think of 2 families, each with 3 kids - all boys, ranging in age from 3 to 10 - I would supply these for if they would help their mother/grandmother get a bit of quieter time with the kids learning about 'cooking' maybe as well.

ETA: Found them or some at least on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Kracie-Cookin-Bundle-Hamburger-Takoyaki/dp/B00K5D4NDC/ref=pd_sim_325_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=61XdKbNQ9dL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1SR8YJRDQZMWPFMEAQ73 Are they all just candy? They certainly are inexpensive and have a lot of positive reviews but apparently they can take some time to arrive by mailorder?

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

yes they take forever but are worth it they are not all candy the takoyaki hamburger and pizza are "food" flavored  or I guess you could say "savory" (they are really not "candy" some are cakeish? none really taste good (the kids like the sweet ones )  they are just so fun! 

I ordered a cheap $20 bundle on Amazon but they are on Ebay as well I heard and there are more brands I just have not found any …

emimadeinjapan on youtube has done a lot of these kits so you can see how they turn out..ours looked exactly like the packages but we stuck to the instructions. 

I have never heard of nor seen these. Where did you find them - only on the web? I don't have little ones around but I can think of 2 families, each with 3 kids - all boys, ranging in age from 3 to 10 - I would supply these for if they would help their mother/grandmother get a bit of quieter time with the kids learning about 'cooking' maybe as well.

ETA: Found them or some at least on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Kracie-Cookin-Bundle-Hamburger-Takoyaki/dp/B00K5D4NDC/ref=pd_sim_325_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=61XdKbNQ9dL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1SR8YJRDQZMWPFMEAQ73 Are they all just candy? They certainly are inexpensive and have a lot of positive reviews but apparently they can take some time to arrive by mailorder?

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
  • Like 1
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet