• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Short Handled Cast Iron

MisterKrazee

I just received my Brevelle Smart Oven Pro and my only disappointment so far is that I cannot sear in my cast iron skillet and finish in the Breville because of the long handle. I’ve been looking for something equivalent but with short handles, 13" maximum width. I cannot seem to find anything of proper size which maximizes cooking area while still fitting in the oven.

The closest thing I’ve found is the Lodge 2 quart cast iron serving pot which is affordable but small with around a 5.5” cooking surface. The only other thing I’ve found is a $144 semi deep griddle. I don’t want anything too deep like a dutch oven, nor too shallow, to keep any splatter at bay as much as possible. I really don’t want to go the custom route and have to modify one of my existing pans. If I could just find a 10-12” version of Lodge’s 17” skillet, that would be perfect.

Am I being too needy or have I actually found a market that hasn’t been tapped in to yet? I’m suspecting I just haven’t found the proper term for the cast iron vessel I’m looking for.

I hate that feeling when you are looking for something but can't find the right search terms. Your post made me think of deep dish pizza pans.

Maybe these cast iron pie pans or similar will suit your needs?

Camp Chef True Seasoned Cast Iron Pie Pan 10" CIPIE10

Pie Pan - Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron 12 x 9.5 x 2 Inches By Old Mountain

Edited by Smithy
Made links Amazon-friendly (log)
"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

What are the interior dimensions of the oven?

I have one of these, which I use in my Cadco oven and in the combo Sharp conv/mic.

I use it for bread - direct on the surface - and have used it for a spatchcocked chicken.

Edited by Smithy
Made link Amazon-friendly (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Notably, it's the measurement catercorner which determines what size handled skillet or griddle will fit.  I also rely on a countertop oven, a now-discontinued Cuisinart BRK-200 (12 by 12 interior), and can fit both the Lodge ten inch skillet and griddle.  But, it's very tight and half-an-inch less might not make it.

Another option, by the way, is carbon steel.  Paderno makes a range of heavy-weight paella pans, which eliminates the handle issue entirely.  They're a bit trickier to season because they're smooth, but very good once over that hump.

Edited by Smithy
Made links Amazon-friendly (log)

Thanks natasha1270! That second one is exactly what I’m looking for. Who would have thought pie pans! Hopefully that will work with my induction burner. All my other cast iron does so I guess I’ll risk it.

Andiesenji, I’ll have to measure when I get home to be exact, but I think it is 13.25” at the skinniest part, not counting height. That pan will probably fit, although being so shallow it makes me a little nervous.

Pbear, I was looking at paella pans as an option. I don’t have much experience with carbon steel yet, other than knives, so I decided to hold off until I had some more info. Definitely something I would consider in the future.

Here's a cast iron pie plate, of all things, that looks like it would fit:  Camp Chef True Seasoned Cast Iron Pie Pan 10".  I see (now that I'm about to post) that natasha1270 had already pointed it out. So now you have 2 suggestions for that. :smile:  

In case it doesn't work - I can't imagine why - here are some other ideas:

Here's a Lodge cast iron oval baking pan that might fit your bill: 12.5" long x 7" wide by 2.5" deep. It's still pretty small, at 1.125 qt.

Lodge also make as round skillet with short handles, like this: Lodge L17SK3.  If a smaller version could be found, I'd think that would be perfect.  So far I haven't found the right search terms for a smaller size to fit your 13 maximum width.  

If you're open to enameled cast iron that may widen your options also: here, for instance, is a Mario Batali (by Dansk) 9"x9" baking dish.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown