• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

3 hours ago, BarneyDorfman said:

Like I say, an ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.

And a picture is worth a thousand words. Let's see pictures of what you call your rotten 'starter yeast' concoction, please.

I guess you have achieved your objective already - proving one could save a few pennies on dry yeast. It is fantastic to learn that is indeed possible. All that stuff I read about it on the web was just theory I guess - but you proved it could be done! Bravo! And, it is great to learn that you have 'invented' sourdough! Congratulations. :) 

I still don't quite get why you insist on calling a 'yeast starter' ... 'starter yeast' - as though they were different somehow. If they are, why/how are they different?  I am still puzzled.

Deryn

Deryn

3 hours ago, BarneyDorfman said:

Like I say, an ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.

And a picture is worth a thousand words. Let's see pictures of what you call your rotten 'starter yeast' concoction, please.

I guess you have achieved your objective anyway already - proving one could save a few pennies on dry yeast. It is fantastic to learn that is indeed possible. All that stuff I read about it on the web was just theory I guess - but you proved it could be done! Bravo! And, it is great to learn that you have 'invented' sourdough! Congratulations. :) 

I still don't quite get why you insist on calling a 'yeast starter' ... 'starter yeast' - as though they were different somehow. If they are, why/how are they different?  I am still puzzled.