• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Deryn

Deryn

I really don't want to be harsh, Barney, but your dependency on electricity and a mechanical machine while spouting stuff about prepping and Bedouins is what is 'confusing' (to try to put it politely). Frankly, it is verging on the nonsensical.

I am more than a bit of a prepper myself. I suggest you go visit www.survivalistboards.com and perhaps you will begin to understand the concept. There are also discussions there about making bread with wild yeast. There is a lot of knowledge (and many practical skills) involved in 'preparing' to live in a world without electricity, water, grocery stores, and the like - just in case someday, due to a catastrophic event (large or small, local, national or global - people 'prep' for different things, for different reasons), some or most will have to live without those, for a short or long time. I will warn you though that while you will find a LOT of knowledge, insight, experience and good people on the survivalistboards, they can also be rather straightforward at times about calling people on outlandish assumptions or laziness (failure to read the boards thoroughly first and at least open your questioning with an obvious understanding of the greater picture).  

Anna is also right about fat storage - that is one of the biggest issues that 'preppers' talk about constantly (especially since most people are not in a cow keeping position and/or don't grow their own grains and have an expeller). If you were really interested in 'prepping', you would want to learn to make simple bread by hand and without fat. In fact, you would probably want to grind your own wheat - since most don't store flour (it contains fats and goes rancid relatively quickly).

So .. as I said before .. 'let's begin at the very beginning'. Not in the middle. Not at the end. Let's go back to the basics. Learn to make simple breads by hand. Then you can up your game and 'experiment' with a better basic understanding of theory. We'd like to help but right now you are pretty much out in the weeds, my friend. If all you really want to do is keep making this particular bread, this particular way, for your wife, that is fine too but it doesn't fit with the rest of what you keep talking about - and you should realize that.

Deryn

Deryn

I really don't want to be harsh, Barney, but your dependency on electricity and a mechanical machine while spouting stuff about prepping and Bedouins is what is 'confusing' (to try to put it politely). Frankly, it is verging on the nonsensical.

I am more than a bit of a prepper myself. I suggest you go visit www.survivalistboards.com and perhaps you will begin to understand the concept. There are also discussions there about making bread with wild yeast. There is a lot of knowledge (and many practical skills) involved in 'preparing' to live in a world without electricity, water, grocery stores, and the like - just in case someday, due to a catastrophic event (large or small, local, national or global - people 'prep' for different things, for different reasons), some or most will have to live without those, for a short or long time. I will warn you though that while you will find a LOT of knowledge, insight, experience and good people on the survivalistboards, they can also be rather straightforward at times about calling people on outlandish assumptions or laziness (failure to read the boards thoroughly first and at least open your questioning with an obvious understanding of the greater picture).  

Anna is also right about fat storage - that is one of the biggest issues that 'preppers' talk about constantly. If you were really interested in 'prepping', you would want to learn to make simple bread by hand and without fat. In fact, you would probably want to grind your own wheat - since most don't store flour (it contains fats and goes rancid relatively quickly).

So .. as I said before .. 'let's begin at the very beginning'. Not in the middle. Not at the end. Let's go back to the basics. Learn to make simple breads by hand. Then you can up your game and 'experiment' with a better basic understanding of theory. We'd like to help but right now you are pretty much out in the weeds, my friend. If all you really want to do is keep making this particular bread, this particular way, for your wife, that is fine too but it doesn't fit with the rest of what you keep talking about - and you should realize that.