• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Jaymes

Jaymes

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 0:51 PM, Shelby said:

Someone needs to PM me with who wins LCK.  I know ya'll want me to watch it, but I live in the sticks and I can only get HughesNet out here.....any TV show or movie watching sucks my bandwidth down to nothing, I get put in "time out" and I have to pay $12.50 to restore my internet.  

It was I that posted the link, rather than the results.  Not that I have anything against posting reviews and results of LCK here - in fact, that's pretty standard - but I didn't know that you basically can't see the episodes online, and I thought that breakfast one was particularly good.

As for the current status - I'm happy that Carl made it through to the final of LCK.  The "no cheese with seafood" thing kind of irks me.  I get that strongly-flavored cheeses overwhelm delicate fish and you want a balance and compliment of flavors.  But sometimes it seems like some sort of hard and fast "rule" gets stuck in people's brains and robs them of nuance and independent judgement.  When Chef Traci said (and was she actually on a soapbox?), "That's my pet peeve!" I didn't think that was enough of a reason.  Wish she had addressed the actual result of the dish rather than just basically saying, "I hate that, no matter what, and you did it, you broke the rule, and how dare you, and you're an ignorant moron, and everybody knows not to do that, and you should have known better, and you'd better never do that again, and that's all there is to it, and you're not advancing."  IIRC, Tom preferred the dish...is that right? Because, if so, it couldn't have been so awful that it should have been dismissed out of hand.  And I can think of a great many dishes combining fish/seafood and cheese that are pretty darn tasty.  Including one of my personal favorites, Lobster Thermidor.

However, if the "clues" in the episode are any indication, this is it for Carl.  When Tom walked over to talk to Amar, Amar said, "Watch this" and sprinkled salt on his fish.  Then, after Carl and Amar finished their dishes and tasted one another's, Carl said something to Amar about his dish being "too salty."  And then Tom said the final winner came down to salt.  So, unless there's a startling reversal of tradition and Amar's dish was too salty, he's got it.

Jaymes

Jaymes

Someone needs to PM me with who wins LCK.  I know ya'll want me to watch it, but I live in the sticks and I can only get HughesNet out here.....any TV show or movie watching sucks my bandwidth down to nothing, I get put in "time out" and I have to pay $12.50 to restore my internet.  

It was I that posted the link, rather than the results.  Not that I have anything against posting reviews and results of LCK here - in fact, that's pretty standard - but I didn't know that you basically can't see the episodes online, and I thought that breakfast one was particularly good.

As for the current status - I'm happy that Carl made it through to the final of LCK.  The "no cheese with seafood" thing kind of irks me.  I get that strongly-flavored cheeses overwhelm delicate fish and you want a balance and compliment of flavors.  But sometimes it seems like some sort of hard and fast "rule" gets stuck in people's brains and robs them of nuance and independent judgement.  When Chef Traci said (and was she actually on a soapbox?), "That's my pet peeve," I didn't think that was enough of a reason.  Wish she had addressed the actual result of the dish rather than just basically saying, "I hate that, no matter what, and you did it, you broke the rule, and how dare you, and you're an ignorant moron, and everybody knows not to do that, and you should have known better, and you'd better never do that again, and that's all there is to it, and you're not advancing."  IIRC, Tom preferred the dish...is that right? Because, if so, it couldn't have been so awful that it should have been dismissed out of hand.  And I can think of a great many dishes combining fish/seafood and cheese that are pretty darn tasty.  Including one of my personal favorites, Lobster Thermidor.

However, if the "clues" in the episode are any indication, this is it for Carl.  When Tom walked over to talk to Amar, Amar said, "Watch this" and sprinkled salt on his fish.  Then, after Carl and Amar finished their dishes and tasted one another's, Carl said something to Amar about his dish being "too salty."  And then Tom said the final winner came down to salt.  So, unless there's a startling reversal of tradition and Amar's dish was too salty, he's got it.

Jaymes

Jaymes

As for the current status - I'm happy that Carl made it through to the final of LCK.  The "no cheese with seafood" thing kind of irks me.  I get that strongly-flavored cheeses overwhelm delicate fish and you want a balance and compliment of flavors.  But sometimes it seems like some sort of hard and fast "rule" gets stuck in people's brains and robs them of nuance and independent judgement.  When Chef Traci said, "That's my pet peeve," I didn't think that was enough of a reason.  Wish she had addressed the actual result of the dish rather than just basically saying, "I hate that, no matter what, and you did it, you broke the rule, and how dare you, and you're an ignorant moron, and everybody knows not to do that, and you should have known better, and you'd better never do that again, and that's all there is to it, and you're not advancing."  IIRC, Tom preferred the dish...is that right? Because, if so, it couldn't have been so awful that it should have been dismissed out of hand.  And I can think of a great many dishes combining fish/seafood and cheese that are pretty darn tasty.  Including one of my personal favorites, Lobster Thermidor.

Jaymes

Jaymes

As for the current status - I'm happy that Carl made it through to the final of LCK.  The "no cheese with seafood" thing kind of irks me.  I get that strongly-flavored cheeses overwhelm delicate fish and you want a balance and compliment of flavors.  But sometimes it seems like some sort of hard and fast "rule" gets stuck in people's brains and robs them of nuance and independent judgement.  When Chef Traci said, "That's my pet peeve," I didn't think that was enough of a reason.  Wish she had addressed the actual result of the dish rather than just basically saying, "I hate that, no matter what, and you did it, you broke the rule, and how dare you, and you're an ignorant moron, and everybody knows not to do that, and you should have known better, and you'd better never do that again, and that's all there is to it, and you're not advancing."  IIRC, Tom preferred the dish...is that right? Because, if so, it couldn't have been so awful that it should have been dismissed out of hand.  And I can think of a great many dishes combining fish/seafood and cheese that are pretty darn tasty.  Including one of my personal favorites, Lobster Thermidor.

However, if the "clues" in the episode are any indication, this is it for Carl.  When Tom walked over to talk to Amar, Amar said, "Watch this" and sprinkled salt on his fish.  Then, after Carl and Amar finished their dishes and tasted one another's, Carl said something to Amar about his dish being "too salty."  And then Tom said the finial winner came down to salt.  So, unless there's a startling reversal of tradition and Amar's dish was too salty, he's got it.

Jaymes

Jaymes

As for the current status - I'm happy that Carl made it through to the final of LCK.  The "no cheese with seafood" thing kind of irks me.  I get that strongly-flavored cheeses overwhelm delicate fish and you want a balance and compliment of flavors.  But sometimes it seems like some sort of hard and fast "rule" gets stuck in people's brains and robs them of nuance and independent judgement.  When Chef Traci said, "That's my pet peeve," I didn't think that was enough of a reason.  Wish she had addressed the actual result of the dish rather than just basically saying, "I hate that, no matter what, and you did it, you broke the rule, and how dare you, and you're an ignorant moron, and everybody knows not to do that, and you should have known better, and you'd better never do that again, and that's all there is to it, and you're not advancing."  IIRC, Tom preferred the dish...is that right? Because, if so, it couldn't have been so awful that it should have been dismissed out of hand.  And I can think of a great many dishes combining fish/seafood and cheese that are pretty darn tasty.

However, if the "clues" in the episode are any indication, this is it for Carl.  When Tom walked over to talk to Amar, Amar said, "Watch this" and sprinkled salt on his fish.  Then, after Carl and Amar finished their dishes and tasted one another's, Carl said something to Amar about his dish being "too salty."  And then Tom said the finial winner came down to salt.  So, unless there's a startling reversal of tradition and Amar's dish was too salty, he's got it.

Jaymes

Jaymes

As for the current status - I'm happy that Carl made it through to the final of LCK.  The "no cheese with seafood" thing kind of irks me.  I get that strongly-flavored cheeses overwhelm delicate fish and you want a balance and compliment of flavors.  But sometimes it seems like some sort of hard and fast "rule" gets stuck in people's brains and robs them of nuance and independent judgement.  When Chef Traci said, "That's my pet peeve," I didn't think that was enough of a reason.  Wish she had addressed the actual result of the dish rather than just basically saying, "I hate that, no matter what, and you did it, you broke the rule, and how dare you, and you're an ignorant moron, and you'd better never do that again, and that's all there is to it, and you're not advancing."  IIRC, Tom preferred the dish...is that right? Because, if so, it couldn't have been so awful that it should have been dismissed out of hand.  And I can think of a great many dishes combining fish/seafood and cheese that are pretty darn tasty.

Jaymes

Jaymes

As for the current status - I'm happy that Carl made it through to the final of LCK.  The "no cheese with seafood" thing kind of irks me.  I get that strongly-flavored cheeses overwhelm delicate fish and you want a balance and compliment of flavors.  But sometimes it seems like some sort of hard and fast "rule" gets stuck in people's brains and robs them of nuance and independent judgement.  When Chef Traci said, "That's my pet peeve," I didn't think that was enough of a reason.  Wish she had addressed the actual result of the dish rather than just basically saying, "I hate that, no matter what, and you did it, you broke the rule, and how dare you, and you're a ignorant moron, and you'd better never do that again, and that's all there is to it, and you're not advancing."  IIRC, Tom preferred the dish...is that right? Because, if so, it couldn't have been so awful that it should have been dismissed out of hand.  And I can think of a great many dishes combining fish/seafood and cheese that are pretty darn tasty.

Jaymes

Jaymes

As for the current status - I'm happy that Carl made it through to the final of LCK.  The "no cheese with seafood" thing kind of irks me.  I get that strongly-flavored cheeses overwhelm delicate fish and you want a balance and compliment of flavors.  But sometimes it seems like some sort of hard and fast "rule" gets stuck in people's brains and robs them of nuance and independent judgement.  When Chef Traci said, "That's my pet peeve," I didn't think that was enough of a reason.  Wish she had addressed the actual result of the dish rather than just basically saying, "I hate that, no matter what, and you did it, you broke the rule, and how dare you, and you'd better never do that again, and that's all there is to it, and you're not advancing."  IIRC, Tom preferred the dish...is that right? Because, if so, it couldn't have been so awful that it should have been dismissed out of hand.  And I can think of a great many dishes combining fish/seafood and cheese that are pretty darn tasty.

Jaymes

Jaymes

As for the current status - I'm happy that Carl made it through to the final of LCK.  The "no cheese with seafood" thing kind of irks me.  I get that strongly-flavored cheeses overwhelm delicate fish and you want a balance and compliment of flavors.  But sometimes it seems like some sort of hard and fast "rule" gets stuck in people's brains and robs them of nuance and independent judgement.  When Chef Traci said, "That's my pet peeve," I didn't think that was enough of a reason.  Wish she had addressed the actual result of the dish rather than just basically saying, "I hate that, no matter what, and you did it, you broke the rule, and that's all there is to it and you're not advancing."  IIRC, Tom preferred the dish...is that right? Because, if so, it couldn't have been so awful that it should have been dismissed out of hand.  And I can think of a great many dishes combining fish/seafood and cheese that are pretty darn tasty.

Jaymes

Jaymes

It was I that posted the link, rather than the results.  Not that I have anything against posting reviews and results of LCK here - in fact, that's pretty standard.  But I didn't know that you basically can't see the episodes online, and I thought that breakfast one was particularly good.

As for the current status - I'm happy that Carl made it through to the final of LCK.  The "no cheese with seafood" thing kind of irks me.  I get that strongly-flavored cheeses overwhelm delicate fish and you want a balance and compliment of flavors.  But sometimes it seems like some sort of hard and fast "rule" gets stuck in people's brains and robs them of nuance and independent judgement.  When Chef Traci said, "That's my pet peeve," I didn't think that was enough of a reason.  Wish she had addressed the actual result of the dish rather than just basically saying, "I hate that, no matter what, and you did it, you broke the rule, and that's all there is to it and you're not advancing."  IIRC, Tom preferred the dish...is that right? Because, if so, it couldn't have been so awful that it should have been dismissed out of hand.  And I can think of a great many dishes combining fish/seafood and cheese that are pretty darn tasty.

Jaymes

Jaymes

It was I that just posted the link, rather than the results.  Not that I have anything against posting reviews and results of LCK here - in fact, that's pretty standard.  But I didn't know that you basically can't see the episodes online, and I thought that breakfast one was particularly good.