• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salami - the wrong kind of mold?

rabalias

We made some salami a couple of months back using the pork from our berkshire pigs (which we rear on our orchard). We followed Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's advice in the River Cottage Cookbook, using LS25 as a starter and hung the sausages in our verandah, which is well aired and generally in shade except perhaps at sunset.

We were going to take them down around about now, but have noticed the mould on them is not quite as it should be. They developed white mould about midway through the process of being hung, but this week we spotted other colours. We are uncertain how long they've been like that - maybe just a few days, potentially a few weeks.

They are partially covered in a thin layer of white mould, but also in places grey/green and, more worryingly, with spots of black. The black seems to be a development of the white mould - you have spots of black surrounded by a circle of white.

In addition, they have some moisture on them - which looks to me like condensation but appears slightly correlated with the black mould. (There appear to be spots of black where the condensation is - possibly just random coincidence.)

I took a couple of pictures, below. Does anyone have any experience they could share on this? I've seen a lot of different opinions, ranging from "anything other than white is potentially deadly" to "you can just wipe it off with vinegar and it should be fine". Obviously I don't want to take risks with our health, but nor do I want to throw away 3 kilos of our produce. So I'm hoping someone will have useful insights!

Thanks

Josh

20141223_112039.jpg

20141223_112026.jpg

that doens't look good to me. I always visit my salami every day and as soon as I spot something I don't want, I wash it away with 96% alcohol. you could give it a try. cut into one, if the mold is also inside, you have to throw it away

• 1 month later...

IMG_5980.jpgIMG_5996.jpgIMG_6032.jpgIMG_6033.jpgIMG_6034.jpg

Josh, black mold is out! all the way out! Are you sure they aren't peppercorns pushing to and near the skin.

Well if they aren't don't chance it! Sad because I know how much work is involved but,  you will live for next years batch.

As for white that is how and what you want to begin.  Then it does what we have come to know as the bloom! it flowers!  So, it will turn green and bluish no harm actually good also. and the bloom can grow quite long and furry depending upon the humidity. My deal is you can't give me enough humidity but a sweet even light wind flow is also good in between times.  Did you cold smoke in the beginning?

That preps the outside skin somewhat and adds extra protection, I use any fruitwood. also we never eat the casings,

I asked a guy once if he chews up the cork before he drinks his good bottle of wine?  Same principal we don't do it.

Here are a few photos of some good molds this year created around 40-60F and 70-100% humidity.  A lot of makers use a starter to get it going and it may be good for some. Keep the faith and if you have some questions about conditions or mix or salt just shoot!