• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stem ginger biscuits

FrogPrincesse

Is the 'stem ginger' in these recipes all candied? Stem ginger actually is young fresh ginger - the kind that is pink and white and very tender - but not candied. I use it for ginger jelly and in stir fries as well as ginger tea.  I have recently been given some lovely fresh stem ginger and would like to try these cookies - but do I need to candy the ginger first?

Elaina

Yup - candied stem ginger.  The recipes I tested above I made with young ginger that I candied before I headed north.

• 2 weeks later...

For the cookies I used a mix between recipes 1 & 3 that Kerry had posted above, with a few substitutions.

140 g flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

120 g unsalted butter

110 g sugar

20 g corn syrup

2 tsp ground ginger

1 large egg

50 g chopped crystallized ginger

350F oven for 15 minutes

Cookies out of the oven were great - crisp with a nice texture. Cold, they became chewy, and soft after a couple of days. They were a tad too sweet for my taste could have used a bit more dry ginger. I would skip the salt next time.

The F&M recipe seemed to have a more pronounced butter flavor.

Then I realized there was this little book that was available on amazon... so that's what I am going to try next. Interestingly, on paper, the recipes seem pretty close.

15752380548_4c02f5364d_z.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

FP, I just got a tin of these cookies from a French friend visiting :smile:

My son loves them, so I am going to try to make them as well. It reminds me a lot of the gingerbread dough I make every year (and it's a British recipes) plus the addiction of egg and stem ginger.

• Like 2