• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

AC9CC4F6-267C-43FD-9E0B-3A73DAB7FBBA.thumb.jpeg.7fb2a0c57788421a7af7b715d0adeb25.jpeg

I made a two layer Meyer lemon and blueberry marshmallow using Greweling’s formula and method. For the lemon I used Meyer lemon juice to bloom the gelatin and added zest at the end with a little citric acid. For the blueberry I used blueberry purée reduced by half and vanilla bean paste stirred in at the end as per his instructions. On day 1 they were fabulous. Well balanced—I could taste both fruit flavors and the play between the tart lemon and the mellow blueberry was really lovely. However, the blueberry flavor faded quickly. By day 3 after making them it was very faint. Has anyone else experienced this?

I also slabbed some of the blueberry, added a foot, hand enrobed in dark chocolate and topped with freeze dried berries to boost the blueberry. Super fun, but I am missing the intensity of the blueberry that was present initially. I want to try nightscotsman’s recipe next and see if the flavor is better retained. 

DD7EB58A-B673-4EB5-898C-5A7F53F6C8D4.thumb.jpeg.95f8e2aa95e90ea8e4b99b88a1e18192.jpeg

Pastrypastmidnight

Pastrypastmidnight

AC9CC4F6-267C-43FD-9E0B-3A73DAB7FBBA.thumb.jpeg.7fb2a0c57788421a7af7b715d0adeb25.jpeg

I made a two layer Meyer lemon and blueberry marshmallow using Greweling’s formula and method. For the lemon I used Meyer lemon juice to bloom the gelatin and added zest at the end with a little critic acid. For the blueberry I used blueberry purée reduced by half and vanilla bean paste stirred in at the end as per his instructions. On day 1 they were fabulous. Well balanced—I could taste both fruit flavors and the play between the tart lemon and the mellow blueberry was really lovely. However, the blueberry flavor faded quickly. By day 3 after making them it was very faint. Has anyone else experienced this?

I also slabbed some of the blueberry, added a foot, hand enrobed in dark chocolate and topped with freeze dried berries to boost the blueberry. Super fun, but I am missing the intensity of the blueberry that was present initially. I want to try nightscotsman’s recipe next and see if the flavor is better retained. 

DD7EB58A-B673-4EB5-898C-5A7F53F6C8D4.thumb.jpeg.95f8e2aa95e90ea8e4b99b88a1e18192.jpeg