• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has anyone ever tried a Cambodian food? The secret?

Hi everyone, I would like to know if anybody have ever tried a Cambodian cuisine? I went to Cambodia few months ago and I have to say the food was amazing, the cooking process and the ingredients were somehow exotic and unusual. I would love to try it again, but haven't got any plans to visit Cambodia soon, so would like to know if there is a Cambodian restaurant here in the UK? I did a search on the internet and I found only one, Lemongrass it's called in London. Has anyone been there to share their experience? I have looked at their website and the dishes are very similar with the ones I had in Cambodia. 

http://www.lemongrass-restaurant.co.uk

The restaurant claims it has been opened since 1987, but I've never heard of it, perhaps I didn't try hard enough? I would love a comments if you have tried this restaurant? If nobody has been there then I guess I just have to go and try, perhaps this week...

Many thanks for your time  :smile:

Have you ever been to a thai restuarant?   I won't suggest that it is exactly the same but the cooking styles and ingredients are often the same or similar . If you liked Cambodian cuisine you will most likely enjoy Thai food as well. 

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

While Cambodian food has some Thai influence, it is also heavily influenced by Vietnam, Laos and China. And to a lesser extent France via Vietnam.

I've been to the Lemongrass restaurant in London, many, many years ago, not long after it opened. It was OK, as I recall, but not stunning. It won't be what you tasted in Cambodia, but close enough perhaps to make you want to book a return trip to what is a beautiful, if tragic country.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

There was a wonderful Cambodian restaurant called Phnom Penh in Cleveland, OH, when I lived there eons ago. It was a favorite when some of us wanted to do something a little bit special for lunch. I don't remember a whole lot about it, except that it was delicious, lots of noodles and fresh ingredients and chile heat if you wanted it. In particular, I remember the one dish that we all always seemed to gravitate towards, because we could never decide what we wanted and it had some of everything: noodles, soup, and slices of eggroll. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was called, though. I also remember the frozen (nonalcoholic) drinks they'd make, especially the one with jackfruit.

I wish I lived closer to somewhere with a large Cambodian population, so I had a chance of eating more!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2