• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElainaA

ElainaA

My annual candymania is well under way. This is a strictly amateur production - I make candy once a year for holiday gifts so even when I improve my skills I tend to relapse and have to learn them all over the next year.  My equipment is minimal - a stainless steel bowl and a saute pan for melting chocolate, a silicone spatula and instant read thermometer for tempering, my preserving pan for sugar based candy. My husband did make me a set of confectionary bars. I have a lot more candy cook books than equipment. I have a ton of fun, my family and friends enjoy the result and when it is all over, my wonderful husband scrapes the chocolate and sugar off the kitchen floor and counters. 

Here is some of what I have done so far:

Greweling's hazelnut lattes

DSC01931.jpg

Coconut- lime white chocolate truffles and raspberry truffles - both from Carol Bloom's Truffles, Chocolates and Confections.

DSC01930.jpg

Dark chocolate truffles with kirsch and pistachios and plain dark chocolate truffles

DSC01932.jpg

White chocolate truffles with candied orange peel, dipped in dark chocolate and Greweling's gingerbread squares

DSC01929.jpg

Holiday fudge from @Chocolot 's book, Candymaking - one of my first candy books and one I use a lot. If I showed up at my brother's for Christmas without a batch of Amy's toffee I might not be allowed in.

DSC01933.jpg

And there is more to be made......

ElainaA

ElainaA

My annual candymania is well under way. This is a strictly amateur production - I make candy once a year for holiday gifts so even when I improve my skills I tend to relapse and have to learn them all over the next year.  My equipment is minimal - a stainless steel bowl and a saute pan for melting chocolate, a silicone spatula and instant read thermometer for tempering, my preserving pan for sugar based candy. My husband did make me a set of confectionary bars. I have a lot more candy cook books than equipment. I have a ton of fun, my family and friends enjoy the result and when it is all over, my wonderful husband scrapes the chocolate and sugar off the kitchen floor and counters. 

Here is some of what I have done so far:

Greweling's hazelnut lattes

DSC01931.jpg

Coconut- lime white chocolate truffles and raspberry truffles - both from Carol Bloom's Truffles, Chocolates and Confections.

DSC01930.jpg

Dark chocolate truffles with kirsch and pistachios and plain dark chocolate truffles

DSC01932.jpg

hite chocolate truffles with candied orange peel, dipped in dark chocolate and Greweling's gingerbread squares

DSC01929.jpg

Holiday fudge from @Chocolot 's book, Candymaking - one of my first candy books and one i use a lot. If I showed up at my brother's for Christmas with out a batch of Amy's toffee i might not be allowed in.

DSC01933.jpg

And there is more to be made......