• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Condensed chocolate milk

CeeCee

So the other day I got really excited when I saw something I never knew existed: Condensed chocolate milk!

I could see fudge, dulce de leche and other chocolate goodies on the horizon, so I eagerly brought the can home thinking that I could skip a step. But when I got home, I noticed that I actually can't read the print on the can as it's written in Indonesian...

Luckily with the help of an online translation service, I got a confirmation that this actually is condensed chocolate milk. However, it contains loads more ingredients than I expected from a condensed milk and the can also gives a recipe to use 4 spoons to create a chocolate milk. They do give a level for the fat, but not for the sugar. It's the first on the ingredient list as sucrose however. (sucrose, water, nabafi fat, whey powder, cocoa powder, skim milk powder, butter milk powder, vegetable stabilizer, calcium carbonate, artificial chocolate Flavor, Natural Flavor identical chocolate, vitamins (C, choline, chloride, E, A (antioxidant mengadung tocopherol), B1, D3 (mengadung antioxidant tocopherol)) mixture of lactose)

And now I wonder if this product (Frisian Flag Cokelat) is suitable for a water bath procedure or perhaps should be used in a different way?

Any experiences or recommendations are very much appreciated :smile:

Sorry, CeeCee!  Let us know how it turns out (and that you didn't burn your house down)!  :blink:  What do you plan to try doing first?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown