• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hi chaps I've just bought a JML (I'm in UK) sealer, in the hope that I could blanch veg from the allotment and then keep it in the fridge for longer than in tupperware, the instructions even mentions soup but when I have tried sealing some blanched runner beans (that I'd squeezed dry) but when the vacume operates it sucks water as well as air and this gets between the two sides of the plastic bag and stops it sealing ... am I missing something please ?

Roger

Since the JML are the same type of sealers than the Foodsavers in the US they have the same kind of limitations. Ideally you want to seal cold and dry things. If you want to freeze things like soup ideally you have to freeze them. You can always manage to seal wet food but you must be careful to stop the vacuum as soon as liquid is coming up. Get larger bag to give you more time and be ready to make many seals on the end of the bag.

Good luck

Louis-Frederic