• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Modernist Cuisine at Home] Fish Spice Mix

Anonymous Modernist 14818

I followed the MCAH recipe on p. 137 for the Fish Spice Mix. I even had the N-Zorbit brand from Modernist Pantry.

The recipe calls for 12g of this powder. The powder is very, very light so it ends up being a LOT of powder for the mix. In fact, my fish spice mix appears to be totally over-saturated by it. It just doesn't look right. There was no way to completely incorporate it. I'm probably going to scrap it and try it again with a fraction of the powder. Maybe 4g or so.

Can someone verify that 12g is the proper quantity for the tapioca maltodextrin?

We really liked the flavor and we will be making it again. I made half a batch and that was way too much for the two of us.

The one thing that we will do different is that I will grind everything separately or just use a food processor. I used a coffee grinder and it was mostly powder with little texture from the nuts and seeds.

RED