• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

calf

calf

I tried making Crystallized Mint today, from the Eleven Madison Park cookbook. It's the same technique as in MCaH.

Strange that I did used to be able to successfully do this, about 10 years ago, but now with the Glad wrap--which I swear seems to be made thinner than it used to be??--it also melts through. I tried 1200 W at 100%, 80%, 50% settings. Maybe a 10%-30% power level could help, but I gave up...

What DID work, to an approximation, was silicone baking mats. I put one silpat directly on the microwave glass. I did the oiled mint leaves, then overlaid another piece of silicone (I only had a Stasher silicon bag so I put that over the 8 tiny leaves).

Then I had to microwave repeatedly 80%, 30 s at a time, for about 3 minutes? Multiple times. It was nearly all nice and crispy, but a few bigger leaves tended to have some moisture near the stem. 

For the crystallized mint the fine grain sugar seemed enough to deal with the residual water.

After some re-reading, some ideas I'd like to throw out there for anyone interested:

• Use only heavy-weight commercial microwaveable plastic wrap
  • Use a inverter microwave, to get true fractional % power levels, many microwaves are now inverter but my old one is not

Meanwhile the silpat sandwich does work. I also forget, there are other ways to make crispy herb leaves so in absence of the right plastic wrap and/or microwave, maybe one has to make it the normal (more tedious) way by dehydrating or frying the leaves.

calf

calf

I tried making Crystallized Mint today, from the Eleven Madison Park cookbook. It's the same technique as in MCaH.

Strange that I did used to be able to successfully do this, about 10 years ago, but now with the Glad wrap--which I swear seems to be made thinner than it used to be??--it also melts through. I tried 1200 W at 100%, 80%, 50% settings. Maybe a 10%-30% power level could help, but I gave up...

What DID work, to an approximation, was silicone baking mats. I put one silpat directly on the microwave glass. I did the oiled mint leaves, then overlaid another piece of silicone (I only had a Stasher silicon bag so I put that over the 8 tiny leaves).

Then I had to microwave repeatedly 80%, 30 s at a time, for about 3 minutes? Multiple times. It was nearly all nice and crispy, but a few bigger leaves tended to have some moisture near the stem. 

For the crystallized mint the fine grain sugar seemed enough to deal with the residual water.

After some re-reading, some ideas I'd like to throw out there for anyone interested:

• Use a inverter microwave, to get true fractional % power levels, many microwaves are now inverter but my old one is not

Meanwhile the silpat sandwich does work. I also forget, there are other ways to make crystallized mint so in absence of the right plastic wrap and/or microwave, maybe one has to make it the normal (more tedious) way by dehydrating or frying the leaves.

calf

calf

Meanwhile the silpat does work. I also forget, there are other ways to make crystallized mint so in absence of the right plastic wrap and/or microwave, maybe one has to make it the normal (more tedious) way by dehydrating or frying the leaves.

calf

calf

After some re-reading, some ideas for anyone else interested this problem:

Use only heavy-weight commercial microwaveable plastic wrap

Use a inverter microwave, to get true fractional % power levels, many microwaves are now inverter but my old one is not

Meanwhile the silpat does work. I also forget, there are other ways to make crystallized mint so in absence of the right plastic wrap and/or microwave, maybe one has to make it the normal (more tedious) way by dehydrating or frying the leaves.