• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want to try pressure-cooked vegetable risotto from MC at home (probably, there is such a recipe in the big MC book). But I don't have a separate device for it, I have a multi-cooker which has a function of pressure-cooking. The problem here is that I need to set up the temperature myself. The question is ”” what is the temperature for cooking risotto?

Thanks.

I only found the instructions in russian... But from what I can see you seem to be able to adjust it from 40C to 120C which seem to be OK as 120C is about the temperature od a pressure cooker at full pressure. The unit seem very interesting if it can keep it's temperature precisely. You would cover all your needs from sous vide to pressure cooker! The only problems are that you will probably need to unplug your unit for time that is not a multiple of 10 minutes and I don't think that you have an option for a rapid release but it should be perfect for stocks and soups.

Keep us informed

Louis-Frederic

Louis-Frederic, you just opened my eyes about sous vide. I didn't even think about trying it in this device.

I tried the vegetable risotto. The taste was great! I set 120C, 10 minutes. I guess, the device needs some time to gain pressure and temperature, then it releases steam 4 minutes before the end of the program. So these 10 minutes were perfect for carnaroli rice. The only problem I face with all my risottos is that after adding cheese it gets too sticky. I'm ok with it, but after few master classes there is a prejudice in my head that risotto must be creamy like a porridge, it doesn't hold its shape.

As for MC vegetable risotto, I followed the recipe very precisely, found aged Gouda cheese. Maybe it just needs a little more liquid?

It's funny because when I tried MC's vegetable risotto it was a little bit too runny coming out of the pressure cooker. I had to cook it a little bit more on the stove. (Still was great!) Do your multi-cooker warned you when it reached the proper temperature? Does it vent much steam when cooking? You could always put a little bit more liquid and it will probably solve the problem if the rice texture was ok.

Good luck

I think my device is more complicated than regular pressure cooker. It regulates almost everything by itself, so I am not aware of what's happening inside. It doesn't indicate temperature changes. There was not much steam during cooking, though in the end there was a lot. I've got this multi-cooker for testing. Later I want to buy another one which has more presets and it shows the temperature dynamics.

I remember when I was a child we had old Soviet pressure cooker. I was afraid to enter the kitchen while it was on the stove. Mother told me that once our friends had their pressure cooker explode and they had to take borsch off the chandelier sf-smile.gif

This device look quite interesting but you'll need lots of tests to understand what's happening inside. To check the temperature for "Sous-vide" use eggs between 60 and 70C and red meat between 50C and 60C. That should give you a good idea of what you can do. My own Pressure Cooker nigtmares involve my mother removing corn kernels from the ceiling... ;-)

Good Luck

Here's a good reference about what eggs should look like at different temperatures after 75 minutes.

http://blog.khymos.org/2009/04/09/towards-the-perfect-soft-boiled-egg/

You also have a double page in MC and MC@H showing what eggs look like at different temperatures. If you want a video you can see it there

http://blog.khymos.org/2011/04/23/perfect-egg-yolks-part-2/

it's important to realize that time is also important and not just the temperature.

Good luck