• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Packaging for Take-and-Bake Cookies

lovkel

Background info - I am looking to start selling take-and-bake cookies at a local market. I plan on selling them frozen and in packages of six or twelve. My plans are to shape them into thick disks with parchment paper squares in between. I imagine that the customers will want to be able to reclose the package so they can cook only a few cookies at a time.

My problem is packaging. I was thinking of using poly bags, but what size? What type? Are there better options that I am unaware of?

Any suggestions here? I don't want to put down a chunk of money to buy packaging only for it to turn out to be utterly wrong. :-)

Thanks!

I think this is a great idea! Love the thought of being able to fresh-bake one cookie (even I, who buy almost no prepared foods, would buy these).  Since you mention parchment, you are obviously thinking of stacking them, rather than freezing them hard and throwing them all into suitable bag (like, e.g. frozen biscuits)?  I would think about whether this would work--a smallish bag for a baker's dozen--for most cookies, or whether you want to find a bag that has been specifically developed to hold little cylinders and stand upright  (it is not food grade, but the reclosable little bags of round cotton swabs comes to mind. Like this, a little.  Then you could sell filled cookies with more confidence.