• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Refrigerating Smoothies

weinoo

So I make smoothies - occasionally.  Sometimes it turns out to be way more smoothie than I can consume in one sitting.

Can they be refrigerated or do they turn into some separated disgusting looking thing?

I'm talking smoothies that usually have a yogurt or kefir type component.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

They separate and look disgusting, but that doesn't mean you can't just shake them up and drink them.

Edit: they seem to go off a lot quicker than juice, say. Probably have to consume within 24hrs or so.

Edit 2: Some people cut the fruit up and keep it in the freezer so they can make a small smoothie without ending up with half bits of cut-up fresh fruit.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

I just freeze any extra and reblend later on their own or as part of a new smoothie.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

I've never had good luck refrigerating them: they seem to turn unappetizing shades, at least the types I make. I have never let the experiment go for more than a few hours before I decided to just chuck the rest since it didn't look or smell like something I'd want to consume.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org