• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for Modernist Twists on Steak au Poivre?

msacuisine

I want to do a modernist take on steak au poivre tonight. Anyone have any interesting ideas of how to give this classic a modernist twist?

I have some nice Choice tri tips to base it on that I'm going to jaccard (after blowtorch sterlization) and sous vide to 130° F.

One idea I had was to make a shallot infused cream and cognac fluid gel based on the MC onion fluid gel (the @Home version, since, though rapidly expanding, my chemical pantry does not yet include gellan). Thinking perhaps of trying to foam this in the iSI siphon (any thoughts on whether this will work?).

Probably will serve this of some kind of MC/Heston-inspired "ultimate" frites.

Anybody else have any ideas or suggestions? Maybe something interesting to do with the pepper component?

I'm totally open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for helping me brainstorm.