• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sausage Substitute for Caldo Verde

Shel_B

I'd like to make a caldo verde without sausage, but with something that will bring a sausage flavor and texture to the soup. I can always go with a tofu-based ingredient, but would rather go in a different direction.

In the past, I've just skipped the sausage, but now I'd like to add something to take its place. Is this possible?

... Shel

You're right about sausage not being traditional, and I've never made the soup using sausage, although many recipes call for it. The smoked paprika may be a nice addition to my standard recipe ... I'll give it a try and see how it turns out. All the ingredients are at hand, so after the weekend ...

... Shel

I don't see why you can't sub any protein you favor--altho tofu sounds pretty weird for this soup. Since Caldo Verde is mainly potatoes and kale, you could use chicken; in that case I would probably use chicken broth for the soup. If you are wanting that smoky taste, perhaps cook a smoked turkey wing to make the broth. I like that smoky pork taste in a variety of bean soups but I don't like the fattiness of sausage or some other kinds of pork. What I do is make a ham broth, using smoked ham shanks. My husband loves to pick away at the meat after the stock is made, and I can eliminate all the fat in the stock before using. It makes a terrific pot of beans. Smoked paprika might jazz up a totally vegetarian soup, if that's what you are going for.