• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inserting Garlic Cloves Into a Roast: Yes, No, Who Cares?

Shel_B

Toots wants slivered garlic cloves inserted into the pork roast I'm making tonight. Should I do it? I vaguely recall reading somewhere that puncturing a roast and inserting slivered garlic cloves is not recommended. Is my memory correct? If so, why shouldn't it be done?

... Shel

I guess the theory of why you shouldn't is it might introduce bugs from the surface into the interior. But it's pork; presumably you're not serving it rare. I do the garlic thing (and rosemary) often, but mainly with lamb.

I say do what Toots wants. Isn't that usually the best plan?

• Like 2

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Listen to the boss.

The garlic thing is only ever unpleasant if you're doing a low and slow roast. And if you are there's nothing stopping you from, say, roasting the garlic and stuffing little nuggets of mushed up roast garlic into crevices in the meat. Just don't poke holes in a slab of meat you're going to slow roast and then stuff them with garlic or you'll wind up the rather unpleasant result of a nicely cooked piece of meat with some nicely raw pieces of garlic popping up in every few mouthfuls to say hello.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Oh yeah!!!! Love me some garlic studded pernil!!!!!!!

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Just FYI, there are certain instances where garlic studded in meat can turn blueish-green. The garlic is still perfectly fine to eat but some people find it unappetizing to look at. Personally, I've never found garlic studded meat to be a great method. But if you're fine with the appearance and it's what you want, there's no harm.

PS: I am a guy.

If it's roasted too long sometimes the garlic can get a rank smell. (This from the experience of many years of done-to-death garlic-studded leg of lamb at MILs for Christmas and Easter.)

Since then, I prefer garlic on the outside, mashed with salt and herbs.

• Like 1

I studded the pork roast and it turned out pretty well. The garlic taste was not overwhelming and afforded a nice background to the meat. Toots would have liked a little more garlic flavor, so next time I'll use more and thinner sliced garlic (although I could probably put more garlic into her side of the roast and less into my side).

Thanks to all who said that there's no problem doing this. I don't know where I got the notion that studding a roast with garlic was not a wise thing to do.

... Shel