• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous vide – leafy vegetables

satimis

Hi all,

I have been searching around the temperature vs time of cooking leaf/leafy vegetables but without discovery. I only found that it needs high temperature cooking vegetables comparied with cooking meat.

Could you please shed me some light? Thanks

satimis

Most green vegetables or leafy greens are much better prepared in traditional methods. Cooking them sous vide can lead to discoloration etc. Sous vide is great, but for some things traditional cooking methods are just much better.

Most green vegetables or leafy greens are much better prepared in traditional methods. Cooking them sous vide can lead to discoloration etc. Sous vide is great, but for some things traditional cooking methods are just much better.

I can substantiate the fact that green beans cooked SV although texturally were good, did lose some color and were drab green

I also didn't get the intensity in flavor that I got from something like carrots

Hi all,

I found following article:

Shades of Green
Cooking green vegetables: why sous vide is better
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-01/shades-green
.... In conclusion, it seems clear that cooking your green vegetables sous vide for short periods of time in boiling water is a much more efficient cooking method than blanching the same vegetables in boiling water. When cooking sous vide, the pot of boiling water can remain covered to avoid evaporation and retain temperature, the water can be reused, and the minerals and nutrients are preserved in the bag along with the vegetable's flavor.

satimis

Hi all,

I found following article:

Shades of Green

Cooking green vegetables: why sous vide is better

http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-01/shades-green

.... In conclusion, it seems clear that cooking your green vegetables sous vide for short periods of time in boiling water is a much more efficient cooking method than blanching the same vegetables in boiling water. When cooking sous vide, the pot of boiling water can remain covered to avoid evaporation and retain temperature, the water can be reused, and the minerals and nutrients are preserved in the bag along with the vegetable's flavor.

satimis

I dunno. First blanching is not cooking but pre-cooking and celery can hardly qualify as a leafy green. I don't think sous vide is the most appropriate method for actually cooking leafy greens like kale, bok choy, etc. but would be happy to be proved wrong.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Interesting but I am still not seeing any leafy greens. Thanks for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

WOW. many thanks for the vids. learned quite a bit.

do you have the web address for them? Id like to ref. them to some friends.

didnt know about the steam-SV, nor the shrink wrap SV pouches.

This has re-ignited my yearning for a chamber-vac system, fully realizing its not going to add much to my SV cooking.

and Ive forgotten that in the past Ive lusted after a Combi-oven and a blast-freezer.

key items. fortunately they dont sell the PACO-Jet :biggrin: