• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

We have a few pizza topics, so indulge me for posting this here...

While I doubt I'll ever approach the deliciousness of the pizza bianca/pizza rosa at Antico Forno Roscioli, Forno Campo de'Fiori, et al., I can't give up trying. So while leafing through a few books, I came across a fairly benign recipe in Parla's Tasting Rome, (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) which as it happens, is very similar to Kenji's recipe on Serious Eats. Neither of these recipes is the same as the recipe in the Roscioli book (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) (which calls for milk as a small (10%) percentage of the liquid, and also adds malt (which I have to assume is non-diastatic malt powder). Now Katie certainly has a relationship with the Roscioli family, and certainly has a relationship with the Campo peeps, so a guess is that her recipe somehow incorporates their thinking, riffs on their ingredients, and takes their techniques into consideration. Like I'll never be able to do this...

279542657_MessagesImage(3963047753).thumb.png.f6ab905b2242261ddc7f20786e8b27da.png

Look at all that pizza!

Yesterday's attempt, dough started in the morning. Using 500 g KA bread flour, 80% hydration, 2 grams of instant yeast, 11 grams of salt. Folded maybe 4 times over the course of the next few hours, and baked at 6:30, after preheating the oven/steel for a hour. Half was spread with tomato, the other just olive oil and salt.

IMG_3424.thumb.jpeg.212050740b3a8c21220863877218c807.jpeg

IMG_3427.thumb.jpeg.a03ec76081ce2e1422b0a1fa309490eb.jpeg

Not bad. Too, mmmmm, fluffy (?) for me. I let the dough proof on the baking sheet for an hour or so, and I think perhaps it shouldn't proof at all. But - it's a start.

Here's a quick look at Roscioli...

weinoo

weinoo

We have a pizza topics, so indulge me for posting this here...

While I doubt I'll ever approach the deliciousness of the pizza bianca/pizza rosa at Antico Forno Roscioli, Forno Campo de'Fiori, et al., I can't give up trying. So while leafing through a few books, I came across a fairly benign recipe in Parla's Tasting Rome, (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) which as it happens, is very similar to Kenji's recipe on Serious Eats. Neither of these recipes is the same as the recipe in the Roscioli book (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) (which calls for milk as a small (10%) percentage of the liquid, and also adds malt (which I have to assume is non-diastatic malt powder). Now Katie certainly has a relationship with the Roscioli family, and certainly has a relationship with the Campo peeps, so a guess is that her recipe somehow incorporates their thinking, riffs on their ingredients, and takes their techniques into consideration. Like I'll never be able to do this...

279542657_MessagesImage(3963047753).thumb.png.f6ab905b2242261ddc7f20786e8b27da.png

Look at all that pizza!

Yesterday's attempt, dough started in the morning. Using 500 g KA bread flour, 80% hydration, 2 grams of instant yeast, 11 grams of salt. Folded maybe 4 times over the course of the next few hours, and baked at 6:30, after preheating the oven/steel for a hour. Half was spread with tomato, the other just olive oil and salt.

IMG_3424.thumb.jpeg.212050740b3a8c21220863877218c807.jpeg

IMG_3427.thumb.jpeg.a03ec76081ce2e1422b0a1fa309490eb.jpeg

Not bad. Too, mmmmm, fluffy (?) for me. I let the dough proof on the baking sheet for an hour or so, and I think perhaps it shouldn't proof at all. But - it's a start.

Here's a quick look at Roscioli...