• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Source for Bamboo Spoons

FauxPas

I love bamboo spoons! And I need some new ones.

I bought some a few years ago that have lasted really well, even with dishwasher cleaning, but they are aging. They were quite pricey and came from a kitchen store (can't remember which one) in either Victoria or Vancouver, Canada and I still have a couple of those. I thought they were overpriced at the time but they lasted so well and I just loved the feel and shape of them and the solidity (if that makes any sense). Also, they were varied sizes and I loved that - some for smaller pots, some for bigger.

I bought some recently in Arizona (where I am now) and they were crappy and did not hold up well at all. I would love a source for good-quality bamboo spoons. I have checked some of the usual places like Amazon online and Bed Bath and Beyond and what I do find is not generally recommended or feels and looks like rough-edged lightweight crap.

Can anyone recommend a source? Thank you in advance. :smile:

Coincidentally, I just went through the same thing you did, looking for good quality bamboo spoons and such. Much of the crap available these days is made from laminated bamboo that in time splits and splinters. Giada DeLaurentiis products are a prime example.

I've been happy with my Joyce Chen spoons http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=joyce+chen+spoon&tag=googhydr-20&index=garden&hvadid=32427309677&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=149383813126665701&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_15m9qhawxg_b ,

and I recently found this company: http://www.bambuhome.com/

All the spoons and utensils are one piece, and are not coated with lacquer or polish, features I like quite a bit.

I purchased three items made by them, but I purchased the items from http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/Bambu.html as they had lower prices and cheaper shipping and, at the time, a better selection (for my needs).

I just checked the Bambu site and I see that their selection is somewhat less than it was when I ordered, on October 10th.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Thank you! I am going to try at least one of the Joyce Chen spoons. I will order some from the Amazon link, my initial search didn't bring those up. Thanks again!

But always interested to hear how other people have found their spoons.

Thanks, Shalmanese! I want 2 or 3 spoons in different sizes, but I may also try the spatula you recommend. Only, since I am a SouthPaw, I will get the left-handed version. :smile: I don't use some utensils since they are clearly intended for right-handers, very nice to see a left-hand version!

Joyce Chen Left-Handed Bamboo Spatula

I bought a bundle of bamboo utensils at BBB quite a few years ago. They came in a mesh bag and have held up exceedingly well, despite being used for other things besides cooking, such as correcting errant "housemates" and their overly affectionate (two or four legged) pets... %)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

I bought a bundle of bamboo utensils at BBB quite a few years ago. They came in a mesh bag and have held up exceedingly well, despite being used for other things besides cooking, such as correcting errant "housemates" and their overly affectionate (two or four legged) pets... %)

I think I know the ones you mean. Similar to this?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/totally-bamboo-6-piece-bamboo-utensil-set/1013997764?Keyword=bamboo+utensil

They are very inexpensive and overall, the reviews are very good, but I bought a similar set and they did not hold up well for me at all. They are also not dishwasher-safe. And they didn't give me the functionality I wanted.

Still, they are a great deal for people who don't beat them up too much ... or who just have to 'beat up' their critters a little bit. :smile:

I think I know the ones you mean. Similar to this?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/totally-bamboo-6-piece-bamboo-utensil-set/1013997764?Keyword=bamboo+utensil

They are very inexpensive and overall, the reviews are very good, but I bought a similar set and they did not hold up well for me at all. They are also not dishwasher-safe. And they didn't give me the functionality I wanted.

Still, they are a great deal for people who don't beat them up too much ... or who just have to 'beat up' their critters a little bit. :smile:

I'm going to take a look at them. The price suggests that they are of low quality, but sometimes things like this can be a surprise. I thought I saw all the bamboo my local BBB carried, but I must have missed these. For $6.00 less a 20% coupon, it's hard to go too far wrong.

I've never met bamboo that wasn't OK in the dishwasher, but that's not an issue for me as I don't have a dishwasher. And I don't beat my stuff up at all - I'm still getting excellent service from my first bamboo spoon which is 35-years old this past June.

My biggest concern is if it feels cheap, too light. How an item feels in my hand is important to me. However, Toots likes her gear light weight, so, at worst, they may be fine for her. Thanks for posting the link.

• Like 1

... Shel