• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Refrigerated Udon and Soba Noodles

Shel_B

I'd like to buy some packages of these noodles. I'll be near the shop to purchase these several days before cooking time. How long can they stay in the refrigerator before going bad? Can they be frozen without loosing texture or taste?

... Shel

They usually have an expiration date stamp. I do not find them to be fragile. In some markets they are available in the freezer section.

Good to know. Thanks!

... Shel

How do they come? The ones I buy are in vacuum sealed bags and have a 12 month shelf life if refrigerated or 10 months at room temperature. I seldom have them more than a day though.

I don't see any reason why freezing them would lose anything, but with a year's shelf life, there isn't any need to.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A few days ago I went to a couple of markets and found both frozen and refrigerated vacuum packed noodles, The vacuum packed noodles have an expiration date many months out. Didn't check the date on the frozen noodles. Now I know the answer to my question both from your help and personal experience Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel