• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

P.S.

@huirayI'm sure Deryn (who is a very nice lady) didn't mean to offend you. As she said at the end of her post, she appreciates the posts with photos of your bounty. I do too, and I'm pretty sure that I am far from alone. Please keep them coming. I can't get everything that you can either, but that doesn't stop me from vicariously enjoying it, and learning a whole lot. Sometimes, I find that I actually can get some of the stuff you post about in this thread, and was just too ignorant to know about it or recognize it. At the end of January, you had a post here with no photos with some very intriguing ingredients, and I thought to myself, "Boy, I sure wish huiray had photos of his haul." I also thought about asking for some. I also thought it would be extremely bad form to ask someone who had obviously already stowed their groceries to haul them back out again for my entertainment and education, especially as a person who has no means to post photos here, so I was silent. :$There is interest here, believe me, and Deryn was just pining for spring. That will happen in the Great Frozen North. I know, I used to live in VT for years, and Toronto briefly, and then Windsor also briefly. I'm pining for spring down here in NC in the nasty cold rain, but at least it's not freezing. :smile:

I scored a frozen duckling for $2.25 a pound at, of all places, my fresh fish monger. One of the sons had to call his dad to find out the price, and they spoke in English. The family that owns the store is Asian, and stocks a few of those ingredients in addition to the seafood. And I don't lump all Asians into one category. I'm simply ignorant if these nice folks are from somewhere in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea or elsewhere. I do know enough to say they aren't from India or Russia. I don't know them well enough to quiz them about it in their busy store. One of the sons recently married a Latin American lady (again, Mexican, Honduran, Salvadoran, Chilean?). She has influenced some recent stocking of a few Latin ingredients. This is a fascinating little local store to me, with many treasures, including all of the helpful folks who run it. :x

My prize duckling is thawing in the fridge, but I suspect the almost 6 pound lovely ducky will take a couple or three days to thaw properly, so it will be prepared when it is ready. You can find duck here around the holidays easily, but this is a real out-of-season treat for me. I am anticipating it greatly.

P.S.: In case my ramblings did not make it clear, huiray, your posts here are entertaining, educational, and have enriched my culinary life by a lot. Thank you.

Thanks for the Crepes

Thanks for the Crepes

@huirayI'm sure Deryn (who is a very nice lady) didn't mean to offend you. As she said at the end of her post, she appreciates the posts with photos of your bounty. I do too, and I'm pretty sure that I am far from alone. Please keep them coming. I can't get everything that you can either, but that doesn't stop me from vicariously enjoying it, and learning a whole lot. Sometimes, I find that I actually can get some of the stuff you post about in this thread, and was just too ignorant to know about it or recognize it. At the end of January, you had a post here with no photos with some very intriguing ingredients, and I thought to myself, "Boy, I sure wish huiray had photos of his haul." I also thought about asking for some. I also thought it would be extremely bad form to ask someone who had obviously already stowed their groceries to haul them back out again for my entertainment and education, especially as a person who has no means to post photos here, so I was silent. :$There is interest here, believe me, and Deryn was just pining for spring. That will happen in the Great Frozen North. I know, I used to live in VT for years, and Toronto briefly, and then Windsor also briefly. I'm pining for spring down here in NC in the nasty cold rain, but at least it's not freezing. :smile:

I scored a frozen duckling for $2.25 a pound at, of all places, my fresh fish monger. One of the sons had to call his dad to find out the price, and they spoke in English. The family that owns the store is Asian, and stocks a few of those ingredients in addition to the seafood. And I don't lump all Asians into one category. I'm simply ignorant if these nice folks are from somewhere in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea or elsewhere. I do know enough to say they aren't from India or Russia. I don't know them well enough to quiz them about it in their busy store. One of the sons recently married a Latin American lady (again, Mexican, Honduran, Salvadoran, Chilean?). She has influenced some recent stocking of a few Latin ingredients. This is a fascinating little local store to me, with many treasures, including all of the helpful folks who run it. :x

My prize duckling is thawing in the fridge, but I suspect the almost 6 pound lovely ducky will take a couple or three days to thaw properly, so it will be prepared when it is ready. You can find duck here around the holidays easily, but this is a real out-of-season treat for me. I am anticipating it greatly.