• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ny times best of nj

glenn

didn't Ridgewood's La Tour get a "very good?"

It seems from the way that the Times article was presented (a compilation of VGs, Excellents, and Extraordinaries), that no, La Tour wasn't reviewed. At least during the tenure of Corcoran and Cook.

I did try to search the Times site with several different combinations of "David Corcoran" and "La Tour", but no luck. This usually results in a hit or two, so I draw the conclusion that it wasn't reviewed by the Times.

Mr. Corcoran will occasionally drop in here on eGullet, maybe he can help.

edit: Couldn't find it on Northjersey.com either.

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

East made the list. Unbelievable. I mean it's not bad, it's a fun "hip" place, but the sushi is just average. When in the mood for serious Japanese food (omakase, impecable sushi, truly interesting little dishes), we go to Umeya in Cresskill.

East, related to the japanese restaurant cum karaoke chain in NYC?

Alas and alack... :sad:

1. We were out of town when this article appeared (and we gave up having the Times delivered years ago). Anyone have a link to the original?

2. Just as I was about to proofread a long response to the list, using Rosie's and Kim's posts as the basis, I got punted out of AOL and lost everything. Too tired to try again.

Some other time, I guess...

Helena -

The article has been sent to the Times's $$$ section for viewing. Search Ryland Inn for Dec 29th

KimWB did her usual excellent job of summarizing the restaurants, I'd rely on her synopsis.

(Hope you're doing well)

Paul

Edited by Rail Paul (log)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Alas and alack...  :sad:

1.  We were out of town when this article appeared (and we gave up having the Times delivered years ago).  Anyone have a link to the original?

2.  Just as I was about to proofread a long response to the list, using Rosie's and Kim's posts as the basis, I got punted out of AOL and lost everything.  Too tired to try again.

Some other time, I guess...  <sigh>

helena's back!!!!!!!!!

glad to see you 'round these parts again. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

as always, the N.Y. times dining guide is very misleading, it only publishes reviews from the year past. Ther are very many excellent and very good rest. not mentioned only because they have not been reviewed inth last 12 months. the only rest. that seems to get reviewed or enough press coverage to warrant special notice is the ryland inn.(wonder what their p.r. budget is)?.

No.  I was being my usual stupid facetious self.  The day a Jersey City restaurant gets a review above "good" will be the day the rest of NJ ceases to exist.

I'm curious; what Jersey City restaurants do you think should have been rated excellent or exceptional in the Times reviews?

I'm curious; what Jersey City restaurants do you think should have been rated excellent or exceptional in the Times reviews?

I guess you misunderstood or as usual, I did not articulate myself very well. I think Jersey City is the pits when it comes to dining. Nothing comes close to being a standout as far as fine dining. There's a few half way decent ethnic places, though even those are the exception. The recently opened Lighthorse Tavern has the potential, but has a long way to go judging from my one experience there shortly after it opened.

The Times restaurant review disappointed me again today. A nice, neighborhood Italian, Taormina, that was made to sound like it was good, but not a place you would travel more than 5 miles to get to.

The Times has never reviewed noteworthy (IMHO) places such as No. 9 in Lambertville, Napa Valley Grille in Paramus, and many others. Oh, well.