• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Effect of Yolk or Buttermilk in Pie Crust?

Hello, just out of pure curiosity, does anyone know the practical and/or theoretical reason to use buttermilk or egg yolks in a pie crust?

I do not make nearly enough pie to test this through,

but initially I didn't see much difference in using egg yolks, compared to same recipe without.

Buttermilk crust also tends to be a more crisp kind of crust, but it doesn't seem to be because of the buttermilk especially.

Maybe it is for emulsifying? But how and why? Or maybe it is for browning?

Hope someone has a little bit of knowledge and experience on this matter :)

Aaah, good point with the vinegar. Vinegar weakens the gluten connections, so it makes it more tender (In contrast to salt, btw..)

I don't get the idea with the fat though? You mean it acts as a shortener, like if you mixed in room temperature butter?

That would make sense actually...

Martin, I went on a pie spree several months ago. I bought several books off Amazon. Pie it Forward by Gesine Bullock-Prado, The Lost Art of Pie Making by Barbara Swell, and Mrs. Rowe's Little Book of Southern Pies by Mollie Cox Bryan. The last one is my favorite. The book discusses the recipes used in Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant and Bakery. She was an elderly lady who made the best pies. And believe me, when it comes to pies, I am more inclined to learn from an elderly lady who's been baking them for 70 years as opposed to a pastry chef (no offense to the awesome pastry chefs here). She does give a yolk recipe and a couple of other recipes for crusts.