• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

weinoo

weinoo

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm with you, Kerry.  I weigh my oat groats but I don't weigh rice.*

*Oops, now that I think of it, I weigh Bomba for my paella.

I've modified my rice weighing technique (thought I never weigh rice for paella).  For my rice cooker, I normally make 2 to 3 GO cups of rice. For the donabe, 2 to 2.5. So, I weigh the first cup of whatever rice I'm using, and then just add to the bowl on the scale (which I'll then wash the rice in) to double or triple the amount in grams.

After reading the article linked to above, it makes more sense why the rices are measured in volume. But to be honest, I tend to get between 145 and 150 grams of rice per GO cup, no matter what rice I'm dealing with at the time. And weighing the water per the instructions included with the rice I buy from TRF, it always comes up to the correct line in the rice cooker.

weinoo

weinoo

I've modified my rice weighing technique (thought I never weigh rice for paella).  For my rice cooker, I normally make 2 to 3 GO cups of rice. For the donabe, 2 to 2.5. So, I weight the first cup of whatever rice I'm using, and then just add to the bowl on the scale (which I'll then wash the rice in) to double or triple the amount.

After reading the article linked to above, it makes more sense why the rices are measured in volume. But to be honest, I tend to get between 145 and 150 grams of rice per GO cup, no matter what rice I'm dealing with at the time. And weighing the water per the instructions included with the rice I buy from TRF, it always comes up to the correct line in the rice cooker.

weinoo

weinoo

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I've modified my rice weighing technique (thought I never weigh rice for paella).  For my rice cooker, I normally make 2 to 3 GO cups of rice. For the donabe, 2 to 2.5. So, I weight the first cup of whatever rice I'm using, and then just add to the bowl on the scale (which I'll then wash the rice in) to double or triple the amount.

After reading the article linked to above, , it makes more sense why the rices are measured in volume. But to be honest, I tend to get between 145 and 150 grams of rice per GO cup, no matter what rice I'm dealing with at the time. And weighing the water per the instructions included with the rice I buy from TRF, it always comes up to the correct line in the rice cooker.