• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are Chocolates Good For Health Or Not?

I want to discuss this topic to know and get more information. In today's world we eat without thinking. But we don't try to understand that the product which we eat is good for health or not? Let's discuss Chocolates are good for health or not?

For the last year I have been taking half a square of 85% chocolate with my morning coffee.

as a health measure.

By using chocolates I think it would be a slippery slope, as with most chocolates there is not a lot of

chocolate in them, the filling being the main ingredient.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

The "healthy" bit about chocoalte is the antioxidants. There is a tremendous amount of antioxidants in fresh cocoa beans, after fermenting and drying the beans,a percentage are killed off--this is dependant of the fermentation time, which can be as little as a few days or up to two weeks. The longer the fermenttion time, the more flavour can be coaxed out of the beans, the better the bean, the les fermenttion time is needed.

With dark chocoalte in the higher percentages (60-99%) there are a decent amount of anitioxidants still present--not as much as fresh fruit, but still a decent amount. Milk chocolate is about a 1/3 mix of cocoa mass, milk powder, and sugar, so any oxidants in the cocoa mass is overwhelmed by the other ingredients.

My final anyalysis?

Everything in moderation is a pretty good way to go.

Another view is that health and wellbeing are closely linekd to feeling good. My take is that, in moderation, anything that you enjoy has a beneficial effect, even if only by improving how you feel.

"If it feels good, tastes good or is fun, it is either illegal, immoral or bad for your health." :wacko:

The whole anti-oxidant/superfood thing is hyped way beyond the data. The fact is that no well-done study in people has shown that anti-oxidants do anything to improve health. Several have shown no effect. A shame. Its a nice idea.

The body has a zillion anti-oxidant systems of its own that work quite well or we wouldn't survive very long.

Unfortunately Dr Oz and his ilk never mention that all the anti-oxidant stuff they pitch is completely unproven to work in people.

So having said that, I'd say eat the chocolate in moderation unless you want to get fat or like high blood sugar.