• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael S.

"Baking Steel" - in the UK

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Saw this reviewed on Serious Eats, was interested in purchasing one for myself, but the shipping to the UK is ~$87! Does anyone know of cheap alternatives, or whether we could set up some kind of group buy to get the shipping cost below the cost of the actual product.

http://bakingsteel.com/

I just bought a piece of steel off eBay for £15, there's plenty of fabrication guys on there who'll happily cut you a piece to size (which allows you to choose the dimensions you want.) When it turns up, give it a really good wash and season, then you're good to go!

Just search for local metalworking or machine shops. Give them a call and ask for a 1/4" or 1/2" thick plate of steel in your desired dimensions. I can almost guarantee it will be cheaper than the "Baking Steel." If you want it to have the nice matte finish ask them to bead blast it for you.

1 person likes this

Just realised I never dropped in a thanks - those are great ideas and I'll be chasing them up soon. Cheers.

I just bought a piece of steel off eBay for £15, there's plenty of fabrication guys on there who'll happily cut you a piece to size (which allows you to choose the dimensions you want.) When it turns up, give it a really good wash and season, then you're good to go!

Hi Rob, could you share a link to who you got this from on ebay? What, specifically did you order? How has it been since you got it?

1 person likes this

To answer my own question, I found this place on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290979602828?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Got two (one's a present) 350mm square 12mm thick steel plates. They were pretty coated with a grubby rusty substance when they arrived but a 24 hour soak in normal vinegar got that off with no effort at all. A good wash in soapy water and an hour or so seasoning in the oven with a thin layer of oil and they were ready to go.

Made my first batch of pizza yesterday and will be posting more about it when I get the pictures sorted, suffice to say they were the best I've ever made. Couldn't be happier with the steel. Especially as each one cost just over £30 delivered, compared to over $200 for the equivalent from bakingsteel.com.

Edited by &roid (log)
1 person likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0